Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The site below advertizes the Turbo XS UTEC (and the intake silencer mod) as their Stage 1 kit, for an increase of 35.1 WHP.

Xcceleration

Can the UTEC really do that without freeing up the exhaust first? Can it really control the boost without an MBC or another EBC? Why does it seem like no one goes this route to start their mods?

And last but not least, can people who don't know sh*t run their mouths about "chipping" the WRX and making it noticably faster without any other mods? :confused:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Bask Oner said:
And last but not least, can people who don't know sh*t run their mouths about "chipping" the WRX and making it noticably faster without any other mods? :confused:
Of course. You can do it with a $50 MBC, or raise boost with the stock solenoid with a $500 chip.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Bask Oner said:
The site below advertizes the Turbo XS UTEC (and the intake silencer mod) as their Stage 1 kit, for an increase of 35.1 WHP.

Xcceleration

Can the UTEC really do that without freeing up the exhaust first? Can it really control the boost without an MBC or another EBC? Why does it seem like no one goes this route to start their mods?

I think you dont need the MBC to make the UTEC work.
And yes ,,UTEC is a great 1st mod:D :D :D
Tuca

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bask Oner said:
Can the UTEC really do that without freeing up the exhaust first?
TurboXS has dyno plots that show that it can increase hp without freeing up the exhaust first.

Bask Oner said:
Can it really control the boost without an MBC or another EBC
The utec uses the factory EBC to control boost.

Bask Oner said:
Why does it seem like no one goes this route to start their mods?
Probably because it is relatively new. If I were going to begin modding my WRX, this is the first thing that I'd buy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wish it had been my 1st mod. I went straight to Stg 4/TMIC after the UTEC was available. No complaints about Stg 4:D; installation would have been a whole lot easier with just the UTEC. Inital results (/w Stg 1) would have been smoother acceleration vs. stock ... not to mention extra kick in the pants.

And, I wouldn't do the intake silencer mod. Someone on either the i-clud or the one formerly know as the i-club posted some interesting test results comparing /w & w/o the intake mod. I vaguely remember that the stock intake actually has a slight bit of an advantage at speed. But, the intake mod was not a problem ... also not a hp gain.:eek:

I also am tired of hearing the noise of the turbo & bov. Neat at 1st, but it has been wearing on me lately.

·
Registered
211 Posts
utec stage 1

Guys.....to speak to the initial post, this is the only mod I have done thus far is the UTEC and a drop in air filter. I am not even running with the resonator out because the guys at Turboxs said it was only a small increase in hp for that and for me, I like my car quiet so I can handle a slight loss in exchange for a quieter car. I just dynoed my car with the utec this past week it was 57 degrees out and it put down 197hp an 189lb/ft of torque. I think the TXS site plot got 203hp....guess each car varies slightly and the temp also played a role as well as the lack of resonator removal, I would suspect.
Anyway, I'm happy with it thus far.....

·
Registered
949 Posts
well it sounds like a great first mod, however, don't you have to adjust it every time you bolt on something new? Wouldn't it make more sense then to just get everything, and THEN do the UTEC???

·
Registered
211 Posts
add mods

you would need to switch to the other maps based on what your mods were. Like in my case, I know I want to go to their stage II set up (full turboback exhaust) so before I put the utec in, I went ahead and downloaded the stage 2 map and put it in one of the slots. You can change between various maps. That's the cool thing, you just change map settings as you add in additional mods.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You don't have to have anyone change the settings for you. You do it yourself by downloading maps onto a laptop/palm then transferring that to the UTEC. So you can change the settings yourself whenever you bolt something new to the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Can someone please explain (IN DETAIL) what the UTEC by TurboXS actually does?

What does it bring your boost Psi up to?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Straight from turboxs:

How does the UTEC increase WRX engine performance?

By allowing the user to tune more aggressive ignition timing, air fuel ratios and boost curves. With 36 RPM sites from 250 RPM to 9000 RPM and 10 load sites, the UTEC gives you 360 possible map points for fuel, ignition timing, and boost.

How much extra power can I expect from the UTEC?

This really depends on the other modifications you have done to your WRX. The UTEC will let you get the most out of whatever hardware you have on your WRX. On a stock WRX, power gains of 30-40 horsepower at the wheels are easily and safely obtained. Adding a freer flowing exhaust, a larger turbo, an upgraded fuel system, etc. will allow even larger power gains. Our staged upgrades will allow you increase horsepower from between 40hp to over 120hp more than stock. We have used the UTEC on our personal WRXs to make even more power. Ultimately, how much power your WRX makes with the UTEC will depend on how well you have prepared the car’s power train and how well the car is tuned.

Is the UTEC a piggy-back computer or a stand alone engine management system?

The UTEC is a really a bit of both. It acts as a stand alone system in that it gives you complete control over ignition timing and boost. Fuel control, however, is piggy-backed off the factory ECU. The UTEC allows you to modify the MAF voltage, giving you the ability to control Air/Fuel ratios and to run larger than stock injectors. The factory ECU is also used to manage some of the more mundane functions that are necessary to keep a car drivable on a daily basis. Some examples are cold start, hot start, acceleration fuelling and closed loop fuel control. With future software upgrades available free from TurboXS, the UTEC will eventually allow complete control over fuelling allowing the user to eliminate the Mass Air Sensor.

Does the UTEC run low impedance injectors?

Yes, the UTEC’s built-in injector drivers actually fire the injectors, allowing the use of both low impedance and the standard high impedance fuel injectors. However, If the UTEC is removed the factory ECU will not fire the low impedance injectors.

Do I have to start from scratch and do all the tuning myself?

No. Like our Unichips, the UTEC comes pre-programmed for various sets of modifications like exhaust, turbo chargers, fuel system upgrades, etc. Although these maps may not be a perfect fit for your exact modifications, they will get you close and you will only need to fine tune the setup. If you stick to our staged upgrades, you may not have to do any tuning at all if you do not want to. . Additional maps will be available on our website and maps can be easily shared with other WRX owners via e-mail.

Can I blow up my engine with the UTEC?

Absolutely! If improperly tuned, the UTEC will give you the ability to destroy your engine in short order. However, as long as your modifications match our kits, our pre-programmed maps offer a good, safe starting point. Some people may even choose to leave the programs unchanged given the phenomenal improvements they will see with these maps.

However, for those who want to get everything they can out of their car but do it safely, the UTEC provides you with some valuable tools. The data logger logs injector duty cycle, knock count, boost pressure and other key parameters so that you can tune with knowledge and data, not gut feel. The UTEC also includes programmable knock control that will retard ignition timing when detonation is detected making it easier for you tune for power, while keeping you on the safe side.

What are some of the ad vantages of the UTEC over other engine management systems?

The UTEC comes pre-programmed for a given set of modifications so you can simply plug it in and drive away, yet it is also user tunable allowing you to take full ad vantage of your modifications. It also allows you to create and store up to 4 different programs that can be used at the turn of a dial. There is no need to drive around with your laptop simply to change from one map to another. Maps are easily shared with others via e-mail. You can go back to stock setting with the turn of dial. Data logging is included. The list goes on and on.

Does the UTEC modify the original factory engine control unit?

No. The factory engine control unit is not altered in any way. Removing the UTEC puts all engine management control back in the hands of the unaltered factory ECU.

How do I install the UTEC and how long will it take?

The UTEC simply plugs in to the factory ECU using OEM connectors. Installation takes no longer than 20 minutes and requires no cutting of wire or soldering. Most of the time is spent simply gaining access the factory ECU that is under the carpet in the passenger foot-well.

Who can tune the UTEC?

With a little practice and patience, our belief is that anyone can. We will provide base maps and helpful tuning tips on our website. We will also be working with out current dealer base and others to provide more distributed UTEC tuning knowledge and support.

Does the UTEC need to be periodically retuned?

Not unless you modify your car. For example, if your UTEC is tuned for a stock WRX and you add a turbo-back exhaust, you will need to retune the UTEC for best performance. For convenience, you will be able to simply download our UTEC Stage 2 map from our website and upload it onto your UTEC.

What octane gas should I use with the UTEC?

We suggest you tune your car on the best gas that is readily available in your area. We’ve created our street maps using 93 Octane unleaded gasoline. If you run a lower Octane gas, you can download more conservative street maps from our website at www.turboxs.com.

Can the UTEC be used on any car other than the WRX?

No. The UTEC is designed to work only on the 2001+ Subaru WRX. It will work in the US spec, Australian spec and European spec vehicles.

What else do I need to effectively tune the UTEC?

While tuning can be done solely on the road, tuning is most effective when done on an AWD dyno combined with road tuning. For the most accurate fuel tuning you will need a good wideband O2 sensor that is accurate down to at least 10:1. The UTEC logs AFR from the front O2 sensor, but it is only accurate down to about 12:1, which is too lean for normal pump gas. Narrow band AFR gauges that work off of 1V O2 sensors are useless for accurate fuel tuning. Alternatively, you can use a good EGT gauge for fuel tuning. Also, for accurately tuning the UTEC's Knock Correction system, some form of knock amplification/detection hardware is required. TurboXS is working on a WBO2 and knock detection hardware so we can provide you with all the tools you need to tune your WRX.

What is the warranty on the UTEC?

TurboXS carries a one (1) year warranty on all UTECs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like I may be doing the UTEC before my uppipe/downpipe now! After new tires in the spring, of course.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts