Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows why a WRX seems a lot slower than other cars at 70+ mph. Is this the gearing or the engine? A porsche has a similar engine but is way faster at 70+ . I personally dont want to get smoked on the highway. What can i change to make it faster?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Slow? I wouldn't exactly call it slow. I hung with a Corvette up till about 80mph.

·
Registered
147 Posts
lousy fourth gear+weak stock turbo+not aerodynamtic=slow as hell on high speed.

·
Registered
932 Posts
slin02 said:
lousy fourth gear+weak stock turbo+not aerodynamtic=slow as hell on high speed.
I concur. At the race track i could keep up with anybody up to third gear. But on the straight where we were up to about 120 mph, I could see the ITRs and S4s walk away from me.

GO BLUE!! Class of '91. :p

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Fourth gear was meant to accomidate speeds from ~35mph to 110+ mph. For this reason, acceleration is drastically cut once reaching fourth. Third gear can be taken to a little over 90mph, but aerodynamics come into play at about 80mph and the engine starts wheezing at about 6200rpm.

My solution is a bigger turbo and/or nitrous oxide. More HP can make up for poor gearing and aerodynamics. Upgrading exhaust and intake helps top end pull a lot as well.

-Jim

·
Registered
679 Posts
the main reason on a stock car is lack of power and gear when going over ~90mph. With mods mods you'll rock on the hwy (even though the sweet spot on our cars is 1-3 gears).

It really pissed me off how they geared our car. I mean, all that money and we only have 3 real gears (and those are so so). Bah!

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
TypeC said:
It really pissed me off how they geared our car. I mean, all that money and we only have 3 real gears (and those are so so). Bah!
:rolleyes:

you're over 100 mph trap speeds in a $25K car.. are you complaining?

dR

·
Registered
679 Posts
dark_rex said:

:rolleyes:

you're over 100 mph trap speeds in a $25K car.. are you complaining?

dR
hell yes I am. Do you know what a real 4th gear would do to our trap speeds? I can beat people with 107mph traps from a rolls, but our trap speed is low because I'm pretty much coasting in 4th gear in the last bit of the 1/4.

Also, it doesn't cost them any more to change the gear ratios. My previous cars (GSR, ITR) had way better gearing and cost less.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it possible to swap the 4th gear?

I can live with one overdriver gear, but two is rediculas. IMO 3rd gear should be a little shorter, and have a 4th gear that pulls nicely even at 60mph

·
Registered
679 Posts
br0kWRX said:
Is it possible to swap the 4th gear?

I can live with one overdriver gear, but two is rediculas. IMO 3rd gear should be a little shorter, and have a 4th gear that pulls nicely even at 60mph
yup, even 3rd is a little too long. It should end around 85mph, IMO. The only gear sets I know of are the dog gears. I'd love a drop in 3rd and 4th gear.

·
895 Posts
yup... the gearing on the wrx is a bit shoddy, but i can't complain since its so damn fast anyway. but fourth gear really does piss the crap outta me.

yup, even 3rd is a little too long. It should end around 85mph, IMO. The only gear sets I know of are the dog gears. I'd love a drop in 3rd and 4th gear.
...or even a 5th.........and 6th! gear? hehehhehehe

·
Registered
43 Posts
You guys that are complaining just need to add a few more mods. I have an MRT turbo back, injen cai, unichip, mbc, and gfb pulleys, and my car is anything but slow passed 70. My car goes by 70 and keeps pulling to 120 hard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree mods help, but there is still too big difference between 1-3 gears and 4th. 4th should not be overdriven on a car that has any intentions of being sporty

·
Registered
5 Posts
i dont know to much about the WRX ive only driven my fridns twice and didnt want him to freak out if i got on it but you guys have to remember it is a RALLY car i mean when its meant to be thrown around dirt turns and doing power slides how often do you actually need to go past 90 except on long starights and yeah mods help more HP to pull 4th but swaping gears would solve the problem completely dont mind me if i sound stupid here though youd need to do anything special since it is 4wd on a gear swap

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
gotta agree with B A P

its a rally car, not a track car. Sure it goes fast but that's not what its made for....as I said in another post...if you're going to hammer nails you buy a hammer, not a pipewrench. Sure the pipewrench is heavy and can drive nails, but that's not what its for...and you don't go out and spend a bunch of money on modifying your pipewrench to drive nails better.

the BEST way to get your WRX to pull harder be a better track car is to disconnect the front wheels from the drivetrain and run RWD. Some performance car vendors do this to get better 0-60 times and WHP numbers to impress unsuspecting WRX'ers.

but hey, its your car, your money and your pipewrench

·
Registered
126 Posts
What are the gearing ratio's of the US MY02? They changed the ratios on the AUS MY02 from the AUS MY01.

The Aus MY01 is the same as your MY02. I will find the details.

Here are the revised ratios (I have the actual timings of accelaration improvements ie 60-70mph etc at home)

1st - 3.166
2nd - 1.882
3rd - 1.296
4th - .972
5th - .738
Final Drive - 4.444

MichaelWRX

·
Registered
59 Posts
MY02 USDM Gear Ratios.

1st - 3.45 ~36mph
2nd - 1.95 64mph
3rd - 1.37 91mph
4th - 0.97 128mph
5th - 0.74 130mph* but..people have gone as high as 140

Final Drive - 3.90

i dont know what this means...cuz i dont quite understand gear ratios. but i hope this clears things up

·
Registered
310 Posts
Folks, the real WRX is the STI 6 spd when it comes to stock Subaru.
When you test drive a 275 hp 6 spd STI with 17" rim and better tires, it will feel so good that you don't mind paying 30+K for one. That is how I look at it, marketing and product separation at work.

I bet most of you hardcore speed daemon will go out and get a STI once it is available. It is because you want that completly new heavy duty engine and 6 spd tranny that can be push beyond what you can do to a WRX at this time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that 10 sec WRX from AU must be a STI mod not a plain WRX mod to get such high hp.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts