Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the HKS full race downpipe sells for around $150, while most others even a lot of ebay brands are selling for $250-$500?
Anyone have any experience with HKS up/down pipes?

·
Registered
70 Posts
the JDM tuner companies downpipes are up there. I think the catted Zerosports pipe is $1000. So yeah.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ebr0t said:
500 downpipe???? WTF

hks is cheap because its not stainless steal and its not bellmouthed.
Most places selling the pipe claim it IS stainless steel. I guess I'll find out after this winter. HKS USA's website even says it's stainless steel.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Keep in mind...You get what you pay for...:D But then again, I have a friend who has the HKS Downpipe, uppipe, Greddy Evo Catback, and an ingen intake...Runs 13.8's constantly...BTW he is a really really good driver...But I would say that the only downside to the HKS downpipe is that it is not bellmouthed, so if you ever upgraded your turbo, you would probably end up buying a new downpipe anyway...so why not just get a good one now...hehehe:p

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
I've had the HKS downpipe since it came out last year. It's not a bellmouth (similar to stock design) and it's mild steel, not stainless. If you have no plans to upgrade your turbo, this should suit you just fine. However, if you do want to upgrade your turbo, go with a bellmouth or divorced wastegate downpipe. Nevertheless, the HKS eliminates 2 cats and is a very good bang for buck mod.

As for really expensive downpipes like the Cusco, the reason it's so expensive is because it's straight from Japan and only works on JDM catback exhausts. They will NOT work on USDM cars without modification.

·
Banned
601 Posts
"It's not a bellmouth (similar to stock design) and it's mild steel, not stainless. If you have no plans to upgrade your turbo, this should suit you just fine."

This downpipe gets so much talk on here, it's not even funny. I agree that for the money, it's not so bad, but imagine this. With a bellmouth or divided wastegate downpipe, the exhaust gases coming out of the turbo have a lot of room too move and get going down the pipe. With the hks downpipe the exhaust gasses don't. This means that there will be more turbulence, and when the wastegate opens, it will not vent the exhaust gasses as well as a pipe with a bellmouth or divided wastegate port. The long and short of it is, even though the hks downpipe might not slow down how fast your car buids boost, it will slow down how fast it lets the turbo lower the boost. This means less control over the turbo, less performance, and possibly dangerous boost spikes. Sometimes, you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If you want expensive, look at the Vishnu DP (just the dp section, not the dp/midpipe style like the HKS) 465 bucks for the divorced pipe. Its a great quality pipe, but its also expensive.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
hippy78 said:
"It's not a bellmouth (similar to stock design) and it's mild steel, not stainless. If you have no plans to upgrade your turbo, this should suit you just fine."

This downpipe gets so much talk on here, it's not even funny. I agree that for the money, it's not so bad, but imagine this. With a bellmouth or divided wastegate downpipe, the exhaust gases coming out of the turbo have a lot of room too move and get going down the pipe. With the hks downpipe the exhaust gasses don't. This means that there will be more turbulence, and when the wastegate opens, it will not vent the exhaust gasses as well as a pipe with a bellmouth or divided wastegate port. The long and short of it is, even though the hks downpipe might not slow down how fast your car buids boost, it will slow down how fast it lets the turbo lower the boost. This means less control over the turbo, less performance, and possibly dangerous boost spikes. Sometimes, you get what you pay for...
You're right, you do get what you pay for. However, all your talk is in theory...have you experienced this yourself? I've had my HKS downpipe for over a year and I have not experienced any of what you mention. When I let off the gas, my turbo spools down just fine, and I don't get any boost spikes. This is all in accordance with not just my butt-dyno, but also with my boost graph on my SBC-ID. Maybe my SBC-ID helps this run smoothly, but nonetheless, I haven't experienced anything regarding "less control over the turbo" and "possibly dangerous boost spikes."

I honestly can't say in terms of "less performance," but my friend is running an HKS downpipe with the factory boost controller, a VF30, pump, injectors, Blitz Nur Spec R catback, a catless uppipe (don't remember which brand he has), and an ECUtek reflash and he doesn't have any boost spikes or slower spool down either. His car is scary fast...and although the flat flange of the HKS downpipe might not give him the full potential power of his VF30, it sure doesn't match up with your other theoretical concerns.

·
Banned
601 Posts
"You're right, you do get what you pay for. However, all your talk is in theory...have you experienced this yourself?"

I got an hks downpipe as soon as it came out cause it was so cheap:). It worked ok, spiked a bit. Got a new turbo, boost spikes everywhere, boost creep, and what not. Got the perrin downpipe, problems solved.... You can tell your friend from me that he would be able to build boost faster and safer without overboosting if he had a different downpipe. This is cause almost every downpipe on the market that has no cats will help the turbo control boost better then the hks downpipe. I am not talkin theory, I had one for almost a year. Maybe you should try out a downpipe other then the hks downpipe and then give your opinion?

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
hippy78 said:
"You're right, you do get what you pay for. However, all your talk is in theory...have you experienced this yourself?"

I got an hks downpipe as soon as it came out cause it was so cheap:). It worked ok, spiked a bit. Got a new turbo, boost spikes everywhere, boost creep, and what not. Got the perrin downpipe, problems solved.... You can tell your friend from me that he would be able to build boost faster and safer without overboosting if he had a different downpipe. This is cause almost every downpipe on the market that has no cats will help the turbo control boost better then the hks downpipe. I am not talkin theory, I had one for almost a year. Maybe you should try out a downpipe other then the hks downpipe and then give your opinion?
I already have plans to get a better downpipe, since I'll be upgrading my turbo soon. By no means am I arguing against the fact that the HKS downpipe will provide less performance that a bellmouth or divorced wastegate downpipe, but as I said, neither he nor I have experienced boost spikes, boost creep, etc...so go figure.

I'm glad to know you have experience with it though. A lot of people tend to just talk theory without having any real-world experience with the things they talk about, and that's kind of what I was gathering from your initial post. My apologies if I came off a little harsh because of that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Verdugo said:
I've had the HKS downpipe since it came out last year. It's not a bellmouth (similar to stock design) and it's mild steel, not stainless.
It looks like mild steel to me as well but how come alot of vendors and HKS USA themselves say that it's stainless steel?

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
waveoff said:
It looks like mild steel to me as well but how come alot of vendors and HKS USA themselves say that it's stainless steel?
That's a good question...best ask HKS themselves :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just like verdugo said if you don't plan on upgrading the turbo anytime soon go with the hks. It is a great up-pipe just not the best for a aftremarket turbo.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's Stainless Steel Coated so that is why it's listed as it is. It's okay for now and I'm not finding any problems with it.

Anyone have an external wastegate installed??

-alex

1 - 17 of 17 Posts