Subaru WRX Forum banner

Why don't stock SPT's get more respect?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Stanley Yahtzee 
#1 ·
I just put the stock Summer Performance Tires--Dunlop Sportmaxx--back on after a winter with Blizzaks, and boy what a change. Really makes driving a lot more fun.

The ride is smoother, WAY quieter, and grippiness especially with lateral motion MUCH better. They perform particularly well on wet roads. I mean, I cannot get these things to slide without some real effort.

I have read some disparaging remarks about the Dunlops. Admittedly I don't have experience with some brands that are pricier, but I have driven Fuzion and Yokohama SPT's and have driven a ton of AWT's--Goodyear, Bridgestone, Goodrich--and none perform as well as the Dunlops.

Just wondering who has replaced them with a set that they like better? And why? I'm open-minded--would consider an upgrade after another 40K miles or so...

Discussion starter · #4 ·
The expert reviews of the Dunlop and consumer reviews are quite decent. They get particularly high marks for grip in wet weather. In comparison with the Michelins, the PSS were slightly higher rated.

I'd certainly consider the Michelins when I need to replace them, especially as they are cheaper compared to the Dunlops, but I don't see a reason to change now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.