ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why doesn't Subaru/FHI develop or push the 3.0l H6 further? It's only available on a certain trim of one model, I think.

It seems like they could create a monster of a car with that engine, although I don't know much about it. How strong is the block?

I'm dreaming of a 350+ hp twin-turbo H6 legacy.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
I've been dreaming of that for a looooooong time. :)

They'd have a 911 Turbo killer on their hands, perhaps. :p

What's in your avatar, Chunks?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
are they planing on throwing in the impreza STi engine in to Legacy STI?

a 3.0 B6 Turbo will make that thing fly if the 2.5 turbo does 60 in 5.8 and only pushes 250HP

the Legacy will be a close contendor for the S4 and other cars in that range

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
1,999 Posts
Actually....the B11S concept that many seem to hate(for the looks) was mated to a twin turbocharged H6 giving an 'output' of 400hp and about 400lb torque....however, it also had a autobox....Subaru claimed that the 6speed wasn't sufficient in strength(??....and the 5speed in previous cars with near 300lb was?)

Getrag is a possible supplier apparently.

·
1,999 Posts
And they probably will...in a further generation Impreza or Legacy. They must also consider very things like weight distribution and all in the case of the smaller chassis Impreza of current(the Impreza is actually going to be bumped up in size and class while a new model-eventual rally car will be brought in to replace the Impreza as the current car segment......somewhat like the Impreza replaced the Legacy and the Legacy moved up to the bigger size)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I also heard the subaru is developing a 3.0L 4cyl :eek3: . I heard that about 6-8 months ago. They are supposedly trying to make it for a future STi in 2007, 2008. The output is supposed to be 350hp and something like 375-400 ft/lbs of torque. I would love it if they made one of those. But again they are going to try to work with Getrag to beef up their transmissions.

On a side note who knows what the biggest 4 cyl used in a car was?

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Wow...3.0L 4 would be nutsky. Didn't Porsche have a 3.0L inline 4 in the 944 for a while? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Other than that, I don't know about the largest 4's, besides the numerous 2.5L examples.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
DTR rex said:
maybe with a turbo suited for more top end, similar to a vf22 or vf23. those turbo's cause bad lag, but in retrospect, the extra displacement of the 6 cylinders would put much more power down low making lag not nearly as bad, but still have insane top end.....
Yep, plus the added displacement would also spool the turbo sooner. What we consider to be a "laggy" turbo on our 2.0 might not be one at all when used with a larger engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm guessing that the 3.0 4cyl is US only then (homologation rules for WRC only allow for 2.0 l unless they are changing that)?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Chunks said:
Why doesn't Subaru/FHI develop or push the 3.0l H6 further? It's only available on a certain trim of one model, I think.

It seems like they could create a monster of a car with that engine, although I don't know much about it. How strong is the block?

I'm dreaming of a 350+ hp twin-turbo H6 legacy.
It's not in the business plan. The H6 is the "torque engine" for the US market. I want to twin turbo one quite badly.

-Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts