ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04' Sti and when I first start my car it idle's at around 1500-1700 rpm's. I'm sure thats the way it is suppose to be but does anyone know why?

Thanks

·
6,298 Posts
That is normal, as long as it returns to low idle (750-1100) fairly quickly. I had a high idle condition after spending a day at Summitt and I finally disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes to reset the ECU. Idle went back to normal at startup after that.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i'm assuming everyone does the same cause its normal. I just blip the throttle a little and the rpms drop down to around 750 cause i usually have the ac on.

·
Registered
948 Posts
if you let the car run, the idle will drop as the engine get warm. if the A/C is on, it might not drop down to normal warm idle.

whatever you do, don't rev the engine when its cold to warm it up, thats bad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I figured it was nothing abnormal but just wanted to make sure. I usually start the car and let it sit there for about 10 seconds while I get situated, then go....it always goes back down. Thats weird that going to the track messed with your ECU.

·
6,298 Posts
Glad to hear your idle is normal. Mine was actually due to a low gas instance, where I was rounding a corner on the track and the g forces caused my car to intermittantly run dry. Take my word for it, the ECU nor the engine enjoy this at all. Pulled a CEL when it stalled on the track. Waited a minute, started it up, and luckily had enough gas to make it back to the track pump where they proceded to rape me for 93 Octane. Even filled up, I still used a whole tank up in only 4 twenty minute sessions.

Scared the death out of me at first, but luckily no problems due to running dry, other than on the way home I noticed the high idle condition. Took me about 2 weeks to finaly reset the ECU and that seemed to fix it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Neria said:
Thanks, I figured it was nothing abnormal but just wanted to make sure. I usually start the car and let it sit there for about 10 seconds while I get situated, then go....it always goes back down. Thats weird that going to the track messed with your ECU.
It would be wise to let your car warmup more than 10 seconds.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Neria said:
It would be wise to let your car warmup more than 10 seconds.

check the oil often too as STi's tend to burn a little oil...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya, I watch my oil, I'm such a freak about this car. I get raped everytime I go to the dealership. I'm coming from a 01' Jetta...bla, so I'm use to $20 oil changes at whenever I got around to it. Now I'm at $60 + whatever they say I need all the time. I just went last week and they almost had me into this Sti Performance package...basically an oil change, tire rotation, differential lube, and something else, for $160. It is recommended every 7500 but I'm only at 5200 so didnt do it. Do you think it is neccessary to do exactly what they recommend everytime?

·
Registered
472 Posts
change your fluids yourself... and oil change takes about 15 mins or less. differential/tranny fluid SHOULD be changed around every 12k miles, that doesn't mean that everybody does though :p

When I changed my oil I bought castrol synthec or mobil1 and a K&N oil filter for about 35$, a lot better than paying 60+ to have someone do it for you. Save the 25$ for tranny/differential fluid :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
they must not be your friends if they are trying to charge you up the butt for a fluid change and tire rotation. i don't know about the rest of the US but here on the west coast Les Schwabs will rotate for free, even if you didn't buy the tires from them. changing all your fluids with premium brands shouldn't run you more than 100$ even if someone does it for you!

·
Registered
222 Posts
at the subaru dealership where i bought my STi they recomended that i should get my oil changed by the dealership the first couple times. this is to make sure the engine is breaking in right and to see how everything is working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my car idels fine usually but when stuck in traffic for a longer while and am constantly stoping n moving in this slow traffic the idle goes crazy and idles at about 1500-2000, but then when i drive it and gets some air it idles fine. What could be doin this, is it normal etc? Please help.......

concearned sti dude man

·
Banned
1,001 Posts
if you let the car run, the idle will drop as the engine get warm. if the A/C is on, it might not drop down to normal warm idle.

whatever you do, don't rev the engine when its cold to warm it up, thats bad.
+10000

·
Registered
28 Posts
my honda idles at 2800-3000 rpm when i fisrt start it up in the morning.....i guess thats what happens when you drive junk:tongue:

i cant wait for my STi:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts