Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, looking at putting a Perrin shift stop on my new WRX. But I’m curious why Subaru would let this slip through. You’d think they’d put a ton of effort into the way the stick feels because that could ruin the car for some folks

-Seb

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Why do you need a shift stop? Never had any issues without one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why do you need a shift stop? Why hasn’t Subaru Fixed it?

A shift stop might not be good for the gear selector fork, that play is needed imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,855 Posts
The world is very simple to some folks.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
....slip through..... the way the stick feels because that could ruin the car for some folks
-Seb
Every one takes their best swing at things with the resources they have. One person's need for the perfect shifter is no different than another person's need for the perfect radio.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I put the shift stop and the brass bushing in my 17 WRX which already had the subie short shifter. It tightened things up a bit and I felt was worth it. I liked it.

The STI with the short shifter IMO doesnt need it.

YMMV

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
subarus arnt made to last, they want to you keep buying parts and new cars or they'd be out of business.
they simply dont measure up.
That's absurd and the scope of that thread went a little over your head.

Do you know how many subarus are out there with 200k on them. Tons

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
sebsmash said:
Like the title says, looking at putting a Perrin shift stop on my new WRX. But I’m curious why Subaru would let this slip through. You’d think they’d put a ton of effort into the way the stick feels because that could ruin the car for some folks

-Seb
Because people who modify their vehicles aren't:
1) The target audience for Subaru
2) The majority of people who buy a Subaru

You're on an enthusiast board, where it seems like everyone tinkers with the vehicle, but I assure you, there are more stock vehicles than modified.

That out of the way...
It's easier to make it harder than it is to make it softer #TWSS

·
Registered
555 Posts
Because people who modify their vehicles aren't:
1) The target audience for Subaru
2) The majority of people who buy a Subaru

You're on an enthusiast board, where it seems like everyone tinkers with the vehicle, but I assure you, there are more stock vehicles than modified.

. . .
Yup . . . I guess I would fall into that category. I mean I did add the JDM armrest extension, but other than that and winter tires/wheels that's been it.

Never felt compelled to make any additional mods since a) the car is fine with the way I drive it and b) I'm too cheap to do mods (well that and I have way too many other hobbies and interests so my options are to stop sledding, ATVing, geocaching, etc. and spend more money on modding the Subaru or keep it stock and keep on sledding, ATVing, geocaching, etc.

Besides . . . I kinda hope that when I do sell the WRX in another seven years or so that having it stock may make it a little more attractive to would-be buyers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the great replies! I just have a tougher time getting smoothly to second some times. WRX with a short throw btw. Still got the plastic on the screen so I’m not quite ready to pull the cover off the shifter yet

·
Registered
8 Posts
you install the shiftstop with a little play, but you eliminate that extra 2mm of play that makes you feel like you're grinding into 2nd gear
Got it.
Personally the gear box feels fine as is, not butter smooth like my Accord's or previous RSX. If it ain't broke why fix it right? It all comes down to preference. I'd rather save the money towards a short throw, to each their own. Not to discourage OP here. Just saying.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
So what is this accomplishing better shifter bushings dont accomplish. You can put all the shift stops in you want but if your bushings have play it is for nothing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts