Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a new Rockford 200.4 amp installed Saturday. When I came to pick up my car, one of the employees who worked on my car said that I "desperately need some front speakers" because they pop and distort like crazy, even with high pass set on the amp. He mentioned that the rears were fine. I thought this was strange since I have Cerwin Vega 5002's in the rear, and 6002's in the front...essentially the same speaker but different sizes, I
beleive. He suggested I check my installation of the speakers because it was probably an electrical problem with something rubbing. I thought that might not be right though as soon as I heard the popping I noticed was the same left and right, so it wasn't like just one of the speaker's wires was rubbing. To confirm, I took the left speaker out and held it, and it still distorted on bass hits. This "popping"doesn't seem like it's electrical, but rather it seems the speaker is getting too much power and it's physically distorting. The popping takes place on bass hits at any significant volume even when the amp is
on high-pass and at pretty much any volume whatsoever when it's on full-pass (when the bass is set at a normal level, not even at a high level).
I tried turning the gain most of the way down for front and rear, and it helped the problem a bit, but not much. This seems like the wrong way to go about fixing it anyway since I'm thinking that turning the gain down most of the way is defeating the purpose of the amp in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong about that though. Anyway, anyone have opinions on this? Is the "overpowering" a possibility? I would be surprised that the Vega's would have a problem handling that amount of power since they are pretty nice, I thought, and this isn't HUGE power I'm feeding them (like a clean 30 watts or something?).

In the event this would have somethign to do with it, which I doubt, ever since the install, my front speakers balance is reversed (when I fade to front, then adjust balance left and right, it goes opposite of what I want it to do)...the rears are fine.

I could turn my system up to mid 30's on the head unit with no distortion before...now at 11 I get this awful popping.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you think your speakers are good then it might be the install of the amp. Your balance shouldn't be backwards unless something is installed wrong. Chack the amp install first, make sure the polarity is correct on all the speakers. Left front positive on amp goes to left front positive on speaker and so on. If that seems okay check your RCA's. A pinched or cut RCA could be your problem also. RCA's plugged in backwards would cause the balance problem also.
Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts