ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to the delership today for oil change and they said i was a quart low on tranny fluid, they wouldnt put it in cause it was d4 :rolleyes: f0ckers.....but why would i lose a quart? maybe we didnt fill it right the first time? but im sure i did

·
Registered
164 Posts
assuming u did all the basic check on it ( check for leaks and such), becasue i think according to the service manual if you just drive normally, the 4eat fluid don't suppose to be change at all. when u changed it out, did you change to synthetic? if yes, did you had all the fluid flush completely before adding in new fluid?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
demonicr said:
assuming u did all the basic check on it ( check for leaks and such), becasue i think according to the service manual if you just drive normally, the 4eat fluid don't suppose to be change at all. when u changed it out, did you change to synthetic? if yes, did you had all the fluid flush completely before adding in new fluid?
YES, but i dont drive my car normally, i get on it a lot and stuff.......i guess this time ill take it easy....but idf you drive the car harda lot it does that right?

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
WRXout said:
YES, but i dont drive my car normally, i get on it a lot and stuff.......i guess this time ill take it easy....but idf you drive the car harda lot it does that right?
Curiosity, what is your procedure for checking your trans fluid?

·
Registered
164 Posts
WRXout said:
with synthetic if you drive it hard, it will burn a little since its thinner than conventional, especially if you don't have a tranny cooler. those tranny fluid gets really hot, especially now in the summer. if your fluid has a really low viscosity, this proabbly normal, so depending how long ago u flushed the fluid, i don't think anything is wrong. like you say, try driving normal for a while and see if theres any fluid loss

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trailboss said:
oh boy....
:rolleyes: :tongue: always can count on you ;)

demonicr said:
with synthetic if you drive it hard, it will burn a little since its thinner than conventional, especially if you don't have a tranny cooler. those tranny fluid gets really hot, especially now in the summer. if your fluid has a really low viscosity, this proabbly normal, so depending how long ago u flushed the fluid, i don't think anything is wrong. like you say, try driving normal for a while and see if theres any fluid loss
ya i mean i drive my car hard in hot weather you got a point but are you positive? im getting a tranny cooler in soon so i think ill be ok cause i see no tranny fluid on the ground

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
WRXout said:
I run the car driveit around then i check it while the car is running
Good boy:thumbup:

Transmissions aren't capable of burning a quart of oil. If it does, you've got a big problem. An auto trans with low fluid is normally one of two things. A: Not filled properly, B: leaking.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
can anyone else comment on this? i've never heard of a car "burning" tranny fluid.

:confused:

i'm thinking maybe you've got some leakage by the seals on the axles... i had to have mine replaced at only 20K.

dR

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
dark_rex said:
can anyone else comment on this? i've never heard of a car "burning" tranny fluid.

:confused:

i'm thinking maybe you've got some leakage by the seals on the axles... i had to have mine replaced at only 20K.

dR
Ya maybe that is it, i am going ot my team mangers shop this weekend to install my tranny cooler and perrin fmic........he said he will take a look at it.......i hoepe if he has time.

im thinking it was filled improperly, but we will see

FIX:i only filled half a quart

·
Registered
164 Posts
trainrex said:
Good boy:thumbup:

Transmissions aren't capable of burning a quart of oil. If it does, you've got a big problem. An auto trans with low fluid is normally one of two things. A: Not filled properly, B: leaking.
this is the reason i was asking him how long ago he had the tranny fluid change. i've work on trucks and i can see that trucks that doesn't tow anything burn liitle to no tranny fluid at all. but the ones that does towing, i have seen as much as 2 quarts being burn between changes,

·
Registered
677 Posts
Mine was really low too when I changed it out. I was running on the bare minimum but my mechanic said there was no permanent damage. I really wish it was easier to check the tranny oil but my APS TMIC is way too big to reach down there.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BrandonWRX said:
Did you account for the extra 1/2 to 3/4 quart the tranny cooler and extra hoses hold? :p
YA BUT i didnt even install the cooler yet the fmic was to much of apain in the butt, next week though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts