Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So why would I get a P0546 (high EGT)?
I have a feeling but tell me if I'm right. Mods are: gutted OE uppipe, catless turbo-back, Samco I/C hoses, and STi hoodscoop.

OK here's my theory. When I put the STi scoop on I didn't reset the ECU. It was a cool night and I was cruising on the freeway in 5th I started going up a pretty steep grade but left it in 5th. Under a high load/boost situation, the ECU didn't compensate for the extra cool charge air and I ran lean.

I didn't think the STi scoop would make a difference. Am I on target here?:confused1

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Are you sure it wasnt "High Input?" Because that would signify a lower EGT, which is correct.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Your EGT sensor in the uppipe is not reading correctly due to the catless uppipe. The fix is to disconnect the EGT sensor and put a 2.2kOHM 1/2W resistor in to the ECU side.

Calvin

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CKxx said:
Are you sure it wasnt "High Input?" Because that would signify a lower EGT, which is correct.
Well according to the book it is "P0546 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High (Bank 1)"

·
Registered
932 Posts
Seb,

Your stock EGT probe in the uppipe has burnt thru - this happened to me as well. You need the EGT resistor mod - so simple even I was able to do it. For $1, it's worth a shot anyway!

-Max.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
cnk said:
Your EGT sensor in the uppipe is not reading correctly due to the catless uppipe. The fix is to disconnect the EGT sensor and put a 2.2kOHM 1/2W resistor in to the ECU side.

Calvin
That's what I did and I have not had a problem thus far. PKer, I have some extra resistors lying around if you want to pick one up. I can even install it for you. :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
BlkWRXWag said:
Seb,

Your stock EGT probe in the uppipe has burnt thru - this happened to me as well. You need the EGT resistor mod - so simple even I was able to do it. For $1, it's worth a shot anyway!
And if you don't get it out of there soon, it could fall apart and destroy your turbo. Do the resistor mod ASAP and plug the EGT bung!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Wade-0 said:
And if you don't get it out of there soon, it could fall apart and destroy your turbo. Do the resistor mod ASAP and plug the EGT bung!
Really - I had not heard of that. Mine has been sitting in there burnt out for 11,000 miles!! Should I be very concerned?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So is it really is a false reading? I don't want to cruise around with no EGT sensor and not know if there is an actual problem.
I don't have an EGT gauge and didn't plan on getting one anytime soon since I don't plan on upping the boost.

I had a resistor on my old car since the Autospeed flex uppipe has no bung.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I threw that code couple weeks ago and all it was, was my my probe came loose, so i tighten it really good and made sure there was no leaks and it worked....so try that!

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah, high input mean that you are actually running low egt, not high

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
capt'n'caveman said:
yeah, high input mean that you are actually running low egt, not high
That's wierd.

<Dr Nick> "you mean inflammable means flammable? What a country!"</Dr. Nick>

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Wade-0 said:

Really? I know mine hasn't "burnt thru", it's just showing lower than normal temps due to the catless uppipe. I got the same code as PKer, I did the resistor mod, but I never thought I would need to remove the EGT sensor since lower temps is better.

Has anyone actually had an EGT sensor fall apart after going catless?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Think about this for a second. The EGT sensor is designed to read at a certain temperature. The high reading indicates that the EGT sensor is reading a temperature lower than what the ECU is expecting due to the catless uppipe. Leaving the sensor plugged in is not going to cause any damage because you're not overheating the sensor to the point of meltdown. If you want to remove it, go ahead. I've left mine in for a year without any issues as have many others.

Calvin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts