ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for being the first post... I have a 2002 Subaru WRX with full turbo xs exhaust, uppipe/dwnpipe, header, etc... The ? is i went to go get the check engine light that is for the 02 sensor cleared out so that the emmissions place could just scan it and let me be on my way... But they said that nothing was registering on the obd2 scan??? I went up there btw right after i went to get the cel fixed... Would it be because of that, that the people couldn't properly test the car??? I have 1 cat on there too... Is there a way around all of this that is of course without putting the stock exhaust/ uppipe/dwnpipe on or what??? Please help me out!!!

thanks,

jon

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Trainrex said:
Without an accessport you won't pass the OBDII test without putting the stock downpipe back on.
Accessport won't help you pass it either. You can't clear your codes and just go, or you'll read "Not Ready" and fail. As long as you have your third cat in place, that should be enough to pass. Let them do the sniffer, someone else just posted a thread where he passed an Ohio sniffer test because he read "Not Ready" from the OBDII sensor.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
Blue2004WRX said:
Well it didn't work for everybody. Chill.
Still regurgitating info. Read the thread closely. It didn't work because he reset the ecu right before he went and not all the tests were in a "ready state". If you do that on a perfectly stock brand new car you won't pass. Accessport expands the parameters for the egt failure circuit and the catalyst inneficiency (sp?) circuit so they will perform their tests and come up ready with all the readings within the safe parameters. Him failing the OBDII plug in test was his own fault. I'm not trying to come off the wrong way at all. If someone regurgitates info they don't understand to someone who is looking for help it spreads misinformation which runs rampant in places like this, thats all:wiggles:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I understand the AP widens the parameters, letting you read OK with an emissions level that would normally fail. Forget that part. The main point of my first post was that he PASSED WITH ONLY THE THIRD CAT. My advice was to let the inspection do the sniffer. The AP was a sidepoint that I didn't say well.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Trainrex said:
Without an accessport you won't pass the OBDII test without putting the stock downpipe back on.
untrue.

the perrin CEL simulator will allow you to pass OBDII tests. it's about $60.

you can also use the "mechanical" fix, which is closer to $5.00 total, and you'll pass just fine.

Trainrex said:
misinformation which runs rampant in places like this, thats all:wiggles:
it sure does, doesn't it.

dR

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
dark_rex said:
untrue.

the perrin CEL simulator will allow you to pass OBDII tests. it's about $60.

you can also use the "mechanical" fix, which is closer to $5.00 total, and you'll pass just fine.

dR
From what I gathered that will put the parameter in a "not ready" state correct?

Thats what mil-eliminators do. The "not-ready" state will make you fail

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
dark_rex said:

it sure does, doesn't it.

dR
Just to add. My information isn't regurgitated. With my MIL eliminator installed before I got my accessport my readiness tests always came up "not ready". With the Accessport they all come up "ready". Not regurgitation, or misinformation,....first hand experience.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Trainrex said:
Just to add. My information isn't regurgitated. With my MIL eliminator installed before I got my accessport my readiness tests always came up "not ready". With the Accessport they all come up "ready". Not regurgitation, or misinformation,....first hand experience.
Aren't you special! Inspection isn't something I'll need to worry about for another 3 years anyway, and even then, I have a friend that owns a place that does private inspection. I had a full exhaust on my BMW, never touched a sniffer or OBDII reader. Just slapped a sticker on.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Trainrex said:
With my MIL eliminator installed before I got my accessport my readiness tests always came up "not ready". With the Accessport they all come up "ready". Not regurgitation, or misinformation,....first hand experience.
first hand misinformation. sometimes there is more to the picture than what you've experienced.

CEL simulator does not equal MIL Elim. please don't preach, THEN FLAME when you don't have all the facts. we're all doing our best here to improve the subaru tuning community. your information was wrong, on TWO counts.

keep that in mind with all discussions.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Trainrex said:
chevyeater said:
Drive it around for a week and then recheck the IM flags. Some of them take quite a while to run. P0420 is one of them.
MasterLok said:
dr - give it a week and it should be fine.
Fixxxer said:
It might just take a while of driving (some number of driving cycles) before it will show "ready" again.

did you even read the thread you linked to?

dR

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
dark_rex said:
did you even read the thread you linked to?

dR
I did read the thread. "should" and "might" are not definitive answers. The thread never stated that you did have a "ready" status. Do you now? If you do, color me wrong.

I'm not above admitting that my info is wrong. If I am please show me I'm wrong and you have my appologies.:wiggles:

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
dark_rex said:
Color yourself wrong, then.

I just rechecked it 1 minute ago. No Codes. All sensors clear.

PASS.

dR
Then I learned something new today. I appologize for my misinformation. Maybe I can learn a little more. What is different about the perrin product?

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Trainrex said:
Then I learned something new today. I appologize for my misinformation. Maybe I can learn a little more. What is different about the perrin product?
The MIL Elim (ponyexpressperformance for example) consists of a capacitor, and a resistor. it taps the O2 sensor line and alters the signal to the ECU to one constant voltage. this voltage is deemed acceptable to the ECU so it won't throw a code.

Great, problem solved, right?

nope!

the ECU is fine with not throwing a code, but it's used to seeing a varying voltage based on the varying state of temperature and pollutants at different rpms, gears, throttle etc. so although there is nothign TECHNICALLY wrong with the signal (meaning, as far as it can tell, nothign is out of the acceptable range) it is basically suspicious that it's not getting the expected variation in signal. because of this, it decides to "monitor" the sensor, and keep it on close watch until it is satisifed that everythign is kosher (some # of on/off cycles.) with a MIL Elim, this will obviously never happen.

so you get no CEL glaring ar you, but the ECU is still watching the sensor closely, thereby leaving the sensor on "not ready"

The "Simulator" (Perrin for example) actually taps a power source as well as the O2 sensor. It creates a false signal, all in the accpetable range, closely (exactly?) mirroring that of an emissions qualified vehicle. So it clears the code, AND allows the ECU to feel comfortable that there is nothing suspicious enough to continue to monitor the sensor.

dR

1 - 20 of 34 Posts