ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im not try to start a war here, I own a 02 wrx too. but seeing a sti cost $31120 and a wrx cost $24620(from Yahoo auto). There is only 6500 difference, but seeing many 04 wrx owners spending big cash on modding. Why not pay a little more at the begining, cause i knowest many of you are finance or lease here. adding $6500 to ur finance wont make a very big difference or is it.
plz put it your thoughs. And i do think that 6500 more is worth every penny on the STI, consider the 6speed, 300hp and the etc.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
why buy a wrx when STI is available? let me see. when i went to the dealer i got approved on both of those both of them with no down payment wrx 519 a month sti 875 a month both for five years plus the insurance, gas im looking around 950 for wrx and for sti you do the math. that leaves me with no $$$ to fix my car up and goodies that i want on it... STI is good no doubt about it but why hang yourself in there if you got some options...

but thats just my opinion:)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im talking about buying a seden obviously

but thats for the reply, this just a question came up when i drive around with my car. and i didnt know there is so much a different in finence

·
Registered
717 Posts
Some of us married guys couldn't talk the wife into the STI! :)
wife---> "300 HP??! You don't need that in a car!!"

Besides, I needed a wagon but I have to admit that I find myself wishing I had spent the extra $6k or so for the STI every so often.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i get your point, but if u look around there are some 04 wrx put alot of money in it. I just dont know why they do it, again not try to flaw everyone. just a question

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
guys plz consider you only want a sedan Not wagon
ofcoz i know many of you only wants wagon but thats not my question, just consider u only want a sedan OK

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd have seriously considered the STi had it been available when I bought my '03.

With that said, cost is the reason most people, choice for others. That's no different than asking why buy a Mustang GT when there's a Cobra, why buy a regular Vette when there's a Z06, why buy a regular DVD player when you can move up to the higher end models. Why buy a house with a 1 car garage when you can get a 2 car garage. Why stop at 2? Go with 3. See my point?

It's all about choices and affordablility. $6500 is a lot of cash to most people, especially to those that prefer to finance less than 5 years.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Well, using your numbers, it means that the STi comes in at a price 26% higher than the WRX. That's actually a pretty huge number in the financial world.

I'm pretty much your normal, 30-something, middle-class family guy with the typical financial burdens: 2 small children to feed, clothe, keep healthy, send to school, wife not working so she can be at home with them, mortgage to pay, taxes, insurance, etc. For me, and others like me, the difference between a $31,000 car and a $24,000 can be a critical one. That $6-7000 difference (much more than that, btw, once financing enters the equation) translates into more money into my retirement fund, kid's college fund, vacations, etc.

Having said that, the USDM STi wasn't available in April 2002, when I bought my car. It's POSSIBLE that I might have elected to hold off and save my pennies for another year or so to figure out a way to get into an STi. I wasn't faced with the situation, so who knows. Ironically, I've spent about $7000 on my WRX, bringing it up to STi power levels. :rolleyes: (and on other things, of course)

·
"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout"
4,124 Posts
I could get a WRX at invoice price through my Subaru VIP program through work, but the program didn't apply to the STi. So make the difference closer to 8,000 for me. I just couldn't justify that...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but some of you drop bigger turbo and new rims and tires to their wrx, thats already a third or more of $6500. I totally understand yours input, however once modding start the $ adds up.

actually i think having a car forum is bad thing, if i never knew there are forums about wrx. I would have save alot of money, like who knew there is an up pipe, jdm headlight, ROTA rims. why defi gauges when auto gauges is fine.

·
48,699 Posts
DINO said:
but some of you drop bigger turbo and new rims and tires to their wrx, thats already a third or more of $6500. I totally understand yours input, however once modding start the $ adds up.
Well, most of us that have done turbo upgrades own 02-03's. Again, there was no USDM STi available at that time. Yeah, I could sell my car and buy a new STi, but by the time depreciation enters the equation, I'm better off with my modded WRX. (better off financially, that is.) Once you purchase a new vehicle, you've made a bit of a committment. I can't just take it back to the dealer and get my $22,500 back, and put it towards an STi. It doesn't work that way.

Yeah, I've spent money on mods, spread out over the last 2 years and change. It's my hobby, you know? Keep in mind that if you'd told me 2 years ago that I would change out the turbo, reflash the ECU 3 times, change injectors, I would have told you that you were crazy.

BTW, I love this and other forums. I couldn't have begun to do the mods I've done without them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Reading is FUNdamental!

Most people don't drop 6K-7K on mods...probably 2K-3K at most, if all you're talking about is speed. If someone is going to drop 2K on wheels and new tires, they'll do that regardless of what car they buy so they have more of the bling bling factor. Plus, people can spend money on their mods at their own pace; you can't pay your car note at your own pace without someone coming out and taking your car from you. I bought my accessport with money I earned freelancing, which is money I fell into, not something I could depend on to pay a car note with.

This seems rather simple, no?

·
48,699 Posts
DINO said:
talking about 04 here
My original argument applies, then. 26% is a huge difference to a person with real world responsibilities. If your question is "Why would a car-mod guy buy a WRX over an STi", then there are several possibilities. Some people didn't know that they liked to mod cars 'til they got one and started looking at forums. Some people may need a car NOW, and $31,000 is out of immediate reach. But then money may trickle in over time, allowing them to mod.

You don't seem to be grasping this...:confused:

·
48,699 Posts
jennifer said:
I bought my accessport with money I earned freelancing, which is money I fell into, not something I could depend on to pay a car note with.
Thank you. Exactly what I'm talking about!:)

Same for me; when I travel, my company compensates me handsomely. It's how I came into the cash to buy the turbo, the stereo, etc. But I CANNOT count on it. It happens when it happens.

·
Registered
404 Posts
DINO said:
talking about 04 here
Ok so wagons don't count, 02/03 sedans don't count, so you're only asking about '04 sedans right? I think the easy answer is people love to have something unique. I don't personally like "bling" mods, but thats what some ppl are into. So they'd rather save the 7 grand, and drop what wheels they want, throw on coilovers, etc. I mean, a lot of people swap out STi wheels even though they're really nice wheels because they want different ones. If you want an all out performance ride, an STi is a great value, but its certainly easier to buy a wrx and drop some money into it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey dont get me wrong, im not try so start a flaw here. Besides who am to judge, i been wanting to get just the ROTA rims for 2 years and still havent have the money to get it.
this is just question i came up when i drive around. The stupid thing is even if i start all over again i would still choose wrx. cause at sti price range i would but other lux car, but that just my option.

feel like we are having a live chart here

1 - 20 of 115 Posts