ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Interesting.

I used Silverstars in my old Mazda specifically because I didn't want a blue bulb. They shone brighter than the bulbs they replaced and they weren't bluish either. They lasted less than a year before burning out, however. Instead of spending another $40, I got the $10/each ones. They were brand name Wagner or something, but OEM replacement instead of super special like Silverstars claim to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,068 Posts
I have always been a fan of the hyper-whites as opposed to the blue bulbs. Blue is really nice on an HID car like acura, BMW, etc.. but the cheap bulbs you pick up look kinda cheesy. I have seen one brand that look pretty good but I dont remember what it was.

I had the hyper-whites on my old maxim and liked them a lot. lasted long, looked good (bright, looked better than stock and stretched longer on the road).



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,490 Posts
Don't think its a repost, but either way it doesn't matter. Lots of good info. I have read that before on some other website and everyone else should read it.

I had forgotten about it though, thanks for posting it. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,582 Posts
DTR rex said:
I have always been a fan of the hyper-whites as opposed to the blue bulbs. Blue is really nice on an HID car like acura, BMW, etc.. but the cheap bulbs you pick up look kinda cheesy. I have seen one brand that look pretty good but I dont remember what it was.

I had the hyper-whites on my old maxim and liked them a lot. lasted long, looked good (bright, looked better than stock and stretched longer on the road).
Did you even read the article?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
SilverStars are fine. They emit no bluish tint but rather a very white color.

But my question...if Blue was such a problem why are Bluish HID's so much brighter. My super White STi HID's are bright but anytime a more blue acura or bmw pulls up next to me their HID's seem so much brighter and I can see the road better.

But I agree Blue coated bulbs are dumb...they actually restrict the light plus they look ricer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
scooby24 said:
But my question...if Blue was such a problem why are Bluish HID's so much brighter. My super White STi HID's are bright but anytime a more blue acura or bmw pulls up next to me their HID's seem so much brighter and I can see the road better.
That's because it's a completely different technology. This question is actually addressed on the page that was linked at the top of this thread.

What about real Xenon headlamps that are blue from the factory?

Genuine arc-discharge (also called metal-halide HID) headlamps run with a very purplish-white character similar to an electronic photoflash, because the same technology is at work—an electrical arc jumping through an atmosphere of Xenon gas. But despite the purplish appearance, this light is actually white with a discrete blue component. That is, most of the light from a Xenon headlamp is white, and there is also blue.

The emerging understanding is that there may be not only a split between the glare-sensitive and non-glare-sensitive amongst the populace, but also among those particularly sensitive to blue, violet and/or near-UV light, and those not particularly sensitive to these wavelengths—with these sensitivities NOT necessarily being linked! This helps explain why some find High Intensity Discharge headlamps menacingly painful and consider them hazardous to share the road with, while others consider them no problem at all.

Researchers are currently working on tweaking the output spectrum of automotive HIDs to eliminate the useless-for-seeing spike in the high blue which causes this reaction in blue-sensitive individuals.

The blue signal images from HID and from blue-tinted halogen lamps arise from two wholly separate phenomena, and therefore can't be directly compared. The main thing is to keep in mind that the blue signal image of an HID headlamp is a throwaway byproduct of a light source that also emits a great deal of white light, while the blue signal image of a blue-tinted halogen lamp is the meager blue ouput left when all the rest of the light has been trapped by the filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
Slowpoke04 said:
That's because it's a completely different technology. This question is actually addressed on the page that was linked at the top of this thread.
I was actually talking about the differences in different HID's....I know HID's are brighter than halogens but it seems like Blue HID's light up the road better than the White HID's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
scooby24 said:
SilverStars are fine. They emit no bluish tint but rather a very white color.

But my question...if Blue was such a problem why are Bluish HID's so much brighter. My super White STi HID's are bright but anytime a more blue acura or bmw pulls up next to me their HID's seem so much brighter and I can see the road better.

But I agree Blue coated bulbs are dumb...they actually restrict the light plus they look ricer.
The reason for the difference is that the tint\hue of an hid bulb is caused by the temperature for the spectrum of light that the gas mixture is emiting. Tinted bulbs on the other hand are just that "tinted". So yes they are emiting a certain hue of light but the filament itself has nothing to do with it. I'm sure I'm explaining this wrong and some science guy on the board could do it much better. The other thing is that certain light temperatures "seem" to be brighter but you actually don't see as well because of the affect they have on your eyes dialating, fatiguing, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
scooby24 said:
I was actually talking about the differences in different HID's....I know HID's are brighter than halogens but it seems like Blue HID's light up the road better than the White HID's
Sorry, I failed see that you had an STI even though you mentioned it in your post :)

I'm pretty sure that 4100K (white) is the optimal color temperature for HID as far as light output (brightness) goes.

To address your original question, there are few reasons I can think of (and probably a bunch that I'm missing, as I'm not totally familiar with HID). First is that you are comparing your lights to the lights of different cars. Different cars may have superior reflector or projector designs. To make this a valid comparison, you'd have to find an STI with bluer bulbs.

Also, be careful not to confuse glare with brightness. What LOOKS brighter to your eyes may not actually be brighter. Glare is the reason why a lot of people think that superwhite or blue halogen bulbs are brighter than stock, when in fact they are usually dimmer than stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Slowpoke04 said:
Sorry, I failed see that you had an STI even though you mentioned it in your post :)

I'm pretty sure that 4100K (white) is the optimal color temperature for HID as far as light output (brightness) goes.

To address your original question, there are few reasons I can think of (and probably a bunch that I'm missing, as I'm not totally familiar with HID). First is that you are comparing your lights to the lights of different cars. Different cars may have superior reflector or projector designs. To make this a valid comparison, you'd have to find an STI with bluer bulbs.

Also, be careful not to confuse glare with brightness. What LOOKS brighter to your eyes may not actually be brighter. Glare is the reason why a lot of people think that superwhite or blue halogen bulbs are brighter than stock, when in fact they are usually dimmer than stock.
I couldn't have said it better myself. 4000K-5000K is the highest output of "pure" light that you can receive from an HID system. It is the temperature that produces the closest light output to that of sunlight. I would be led to believe that the cars that you see on the roads with the "bluer" light have projector systems in play. This enables a car to concentrate a beam on a specific area of road, but outside of that area, you have dismal lighting. The thing I love about the STi's lighting is that it does not use a projector system and thereby allows light to "splash" throughout the roadway outside of the target lighting area and illuminating outside of the cutoff slightly and to the sides of the road while still being safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
scooby24 said:
I was actually talking about the differences in different HID's....I know HID's are brighter than halogens but it seems like Blue HID's light up the road better than the White HID's
The reason that an HID that gives off a blueish tint seems more intensive is because it is. If the lamp itself is the source of the blue and not a coating or other pehnomenon, then it`s color temperature is much higher with a higher wavelength. There are too many other factors to consider when evaluating a light source to solely rely on degrees kelvin though. Including the reflector involved etc. Another thing to note is that the higher the color temperature, the more negative the effect on your night vision, whether you perceive it or not(a selling point for amber and red gauges maybe :) )
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top