ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I think it is important to clarify my objectives for my suspension.

1. My wife's daily driver- it can't hurt, make noises, must feel good (like stock)

2. AutoX on weekends- needs to improve handling, adjustments would be nice

3. Gravel play- can't be too low, must be tough

I first looked at a strut/spring combos- fair amount of springs available, not much in the way of struts. From the above objectives you can see that any spring would have to be reasonable in rate 200ish and not to low 1-1 1/2" at most. I found a few springs in this range, but no strut to match.

I then looked at the SPT/STi combo, looked real hard! Almost ended up getting them- meets all the objectives above except adjustability. I then looked at the STi sport (pink) 4 way adj strut/spring combo, looked real hard.
Met all the objectives above, except they are real expensive ~ $1700 w/o tops.

I then looked at coilovers- lot's of them. Unfortunately most came w/ too high of spring rates- 300 lbs +. Most seemed to be of high quality, lots of adjustment, just too high spring rates for what I needed. Thus after all was said and done, DMS golds seemed to best fit my needs. I went w/ the 180/180 setup w/ STi tops. If I need higher rate springs (track days perhaps) they're available. If anything needs worked on there is an authorized service center in the US- not many offered this.

Thus far my wife hasn't complained about the ride (it may actually be better than stock:) ). I have vastly improved handling and have the adjustment I wanted (ride heighth/ 30 way damping). This setup handles great on the gravel- just lower damping- ride heighth is just 20mm below stock.

There are lot's of suspensions out there, just know what you want to do with it before you part with hard earned dollars.

Big Sky

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was thinking about Teins until I saw pictures of the threads/adjuster rings being victims of electrolysis. Has this problem been fixed. A few people have also had problems with broken adjuster rings.

To be honest, I'd like to get a set of Intrax ARS if the internals could hold up. I know the Intrax springs suck arse but the overall design quality of the ARS seems to be quite appealing:

ARS FEATURES (from Intrax website)

-Large thread format for ease in ride height adjustment.
-High pressure Nitrogen charged mono-tube design.
-Force adjustable in both Rebound/Compression via 15-21 position settings.
-Large diameter design increases volume by up to 150% over original equipment design.
-Aluminum alloy body, heat treated and hard anodized to equal and exceed the Original Equipment housing.
-Alloy body is shortened to allow for maximum amount of travel.
-Large diameter piston 45mm.
-Large diameter piston shaft of 14 or 22mm.
-Modular system allows for custom valve settings and repair.

BUT...it sounds like the few people that have these coilovers have had to bring them in for servicing after only 3K miles.

Any input?

TJ

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Question for ya Big Sky. I live in wisconsin, and am thinking coil overs would be a good choice since I can lower the car for summer, and then raise back to stock height for winter/snow driving. Was that a consideration in your choice?

·
4,769 Posts
sms1 said:
I was thinking about Teins until I saw pictures of the threads/adjuster rings being victims of electrolysis. Has this problem been fixed. A few people have also had problems with broken adjuster rings.
Actually I have been dealing with Tein for 3 years and as long as you follow as few easy steps when installing I have yet to see one problem or defect. Only minor problem was the collars would seize if in salty climate but just apply some anti-seize compound on the threads before installing. problem solved. The new flexkit actually comes with a special coating on the threads as well as the anti-seize lubricant.

·
Registered
747 Posts
DMS

I heard that the DMS Gold 40mm's weren't originally made for the WRX. I hear that you have to use twist ties for the brake lines...FYI...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm glad someone is having good result with the DMS 40's but as for me, I didn't have such great luck. Check out the threads at i-club. Yes, it is a good street/track setup but the QA and R&D are horrible. I have just ditched my GDA STI top hats with angle mounts for the adapters with GC8 top hats. One problem was solved but I'm still plagued with sticky rear dampers (and yes they were (supposely) rebuilt). All this has cost me time and money. It is one of those things now where I've invested too much to throw away and I feel bad for saling a defective product to another consumer. Basiclly I'm stuck just like a bad marriage. I don't even use zip ties anymore because I have cut so many taking them in and out all the time.

IMHO....wish I had gone elsewhere

very blue with DMS...max

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thechickencow,

Ride heighth was a consideration, but most coilover systems have this covered pretty well. With the DMS golds ride heighth can approach stock heighth, but still falls a little short. I'm not saying you can't get it to stock heighth (or above for that matter) but it was not designed to operate at that heighth. About 10mm short of stock heighth is the maximum they reccomend. This is sufficient heighth for winter driving. All coilovers have a intended range they should be operated- another to check on whatever coilover you look at.

206WRX_GDA,

The DMS's come w/ appropriate brake clips as well as ABS clip (at least mine did :) ).

bluemax,

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. One of the reasons I waited as long as I did, was the problem in the rear w/ the angled mounts. It appears the problem is resolved w/ the GC STi mounts and the adapter plate. I haven't heard of any sticky damper problems. Is it the adjusters themselves that are sticking?

sms1,

I looked at the Intrax, but spring rates were beyond my needs. I don't have any personal experience w/ them.

Big Sky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts