ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imp fixing to buy a WRX and was wondering why not get a regular WRX and put your own wing and suspension on it? instead of paying 5k to 10k more for a Sti.....

Thanks

·
Registered
946 Posts
i thought the same thing about a month ago, and my brother said....if your goin to go into debt to a car....get what you want lol...

theres more things that regular WRX's dont have like the brembo brakes and the awesome two tone interior

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imp fixing to buy a WRX and was wondering why not get a regular WRX and put your own wing and suspension on it? instead of paying 5k to 10k more for a Sti.....

Thanks
Well before you do anything educate yourself on the cars.

Sti is a 2.5L block, wrx is a 2.0L. STi hs a VF39 turbo, WRX has a TD04. STi suspension is better. STi has brembos, wrx does not, sti can run bigger,wider wheels. STi has a much better transmission than the mediocre wrx 5spd. STi is a much better platform to start out on

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
STi will get you the blue/upgraded interior, a 2.5 liter engine with around 300hp. A much stronger transmission (6spd). HID lights, Some has BBS wheels. DCCD, IC sprayer, the wing, bigger scoop. The stronger trans alone to a wrx would cost close to 5k... It depends in what you want out of the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx. I did not know about the better Trans and bigger engine / turbo.
And yes that two tone interior.

Now im just having a hard time Finding a Black 04 and up in Nashville.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Sometimes for these cars you may have to look farther than you want, or wait longer than you want. BUT if you are patient, you will be happy with the end result.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Plus different everything. Its not just a wing and suspension. Use the search button. SEARCH BUTTON. SEARCH BUTTON. SEARCH BUTTON. If I say it 3 times maybe it will work. The STi has different suspension, different wheels, different interior, different engine, different turbo, different smell, different headlights, different side mirrors... you get the point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do u know anything about 04 to 07 having trans problems?
I heard about the 03 and under having some problems.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Do u know anything about 04 to 07 having trans problems?
I heard about the 03 and under having some problems.
all wrxs 02-08 have had some issues with trannys breaking after being abused

STI has much much stronger better oiling system 6 speed transmission

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are they Pretty easy to work on? I don’t want to buy something I cant work on. I will be geting 04-07 hopefully!!

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Are they Pretty easy to work on? I don’t want to buy something I cant work on. I will be geting 04-07 hopefully!!
yes they are pretty easy to work on but changing the plugs is hard

Subarus are very reliable.

We have gone thru the STIvs WRX bang for your buck debate many times and the STI always comes out on top, that said i love my WRX, its fun to drive and it is a Wagon :)

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Well before you do anything educate yourself on the cars.

Sti is a 2.5L block, wrx is a 2.0L. STi hs a VF39 turbo, WRX has a TD04.
This is not universally true. WRX from 2006 on also has a 2.5 liter. There's been a turbocharger change or 2 over the years, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts