Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see who is running this, which turbo you use, and if you have problems with heat soak.

Note: please do not turn this into a "you should get a FMIC" because i have decided against it so dont try and convince me. I dont want an all out drag car.

·
Banned
601 Posts
I have a hyperflow and a vf34. As a side note, the intercooler came with shaved metal inside it that I had to clean out before using. Also, my gfb bov did not fit on the mounting plate, and I had to grind away part of the flange on my bov to fit it on. Other then that it works well. I have all my exhaust pipes coated and a modified heatsheild on my turbo, but I definately get heat soak when the car is just idling(stanging still). It won't get normal power till after I drive for 5-20 seconds depending on how fast I drive and the boost is usually less then normal(about 1psi less then normal, with a lot less power). I mean, it's still fast, but you can tell the difference. A water spray kit would be prime for the strip(imo), but I don't race......

peace

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was planning on using a cusco water sprayer. How much do you think that would help with heat soak?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The turboXS and APS units are both equally nice. Combo'd with a water sprayer you are good to go... The only problem I noticed is extreme heat when dyno tuning... But a little spray bottle with water and some decent fans solve that problem.

-mike

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MJU1983 said:
The turboXS and APS units are both equally nice. Combo'd with a water sprayer you are good to go... The only problem I noticed is extreme heat when dyno tuning... But a little spray bottle with water and some decent fans solve that problem.

-mike
good input,thanks

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
BoostedBoxer said:
good input,thanks
Yeah no problem... Funny that my friend Jim made as much power with an APS tmic and unichip, compared to a FMIC and utec that another friend had.

One thing tho, it did rub on the AC line... I cut some hose in half and zip tied it around the line. Also, one screw on the splitter hit the tmic... The things are huge!

-mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
the comparison from

stage 2-stage 3...with just the addition of a tmic power was definately increased. it has more power once the turbo kicks in especially on the high end. i dont have problems with heat soak, but i havent ran it in the 100 degree weather yet. if you sit around alot im sure it will heat soak. but it seems to do its job quite well. we'll see how the 18G and the TXS tmic v2 work out

·
Registered
432 Posts
BoostedBoxer said:
i was planning on using a cusco water sprayer. How much do you think that would help with heat soak?
A lot. I havent seen the cusco sprayer, I have a DIY water sprayer with STI nozzles. Very cheap and effective mod. I have only used it in about 75 degree weather and I could feel the difference. Especially while at a light or parked.

Another major factor is getting a good seal for the bigger TMIC. The stock seal misses about 25% of the surface area. I modified my seal to fit the entire surface of my TMIC. The upgraded seals/ splitters are sold by vendors as well. The APS splitter will miss about 1" of height towards the back of the TMIC for the TXS TMIC (it was made for the APS unit). I think quantumracing makes splitters to fit the TXS unit.

These two things plus a STI scoop will make a TMIC perform much more efficiently.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Thanks for starting the thread Boosted. I keep going back and forth between a tmic and a fmic.

·
1,263 Posts
I was running the TXS TMIC v2 with a VF30 and it was fine. Once I went to the SR40 I started to get some heatsoak problems - particularly on the dyno. I moved to the DR650 FMIC - which has been awesome with this turbo.

The water spray is a great idea with TMIC - period.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i am planning on running a vf34 so i should be cool. As far as the splitter goes, im going to follow the tutorial that kurleedadee wrote up becasue i have seen it in person and it looks good and is very effective. Plus it is cheap to make.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I run the TurboXS intercooler with the PE1820 turbo. Everything runs fine, and only gets warm to the touch after sitting in traffic. It does get pretty toasty on the dyno after about an hour though if there is not enough airflow... I guess it is a good thing though, since it allows my tuner to tune for a "worst case scenario" .. As a result, i get more power when conditions are ideal. On the streets though, heat soak isn't a problem at all....

I am thinking that the reason why everyone else is getting heatsoak as a major issue is that my turbo is much more efficient at the same boost levels than the VF30's which are running similar, if not more boost than I am. This might also explain why I don't have to have the boost cranked to 20psi to crack 300whp (with a very conservative tune) on pump gas... Should be going back in a week for another tuning session...

I run the STi scoop with a modified stock splitter on my car. Oh, and about 18psi of boost too... Makes for 300WHP on the dyno, crisp throttle response, and relatively stock looks...

I have not really felt the need to get an intercooler sprayer, but I just installed a WI kit... I am getting a little paranoid of having so many water-related spray/injection systems on my car:D

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
a friend of mine had the 1820 on the txs tmic, he said he had a bit of heatsoak after sitting in traffic for a while, but it basically wasnt a problem he said.

·
Registered
577 Posts
ebr0t said:
a friend of mine had the 1820 on the txs tmic, he said he had a bit of heatsoak after sitting in traffic for a while, but it basically wasnt a problem he said.
I think that another reason why people don't have heatsoak-related problems with the 1820 turbo is that the Turbo isn't really working all that hard under 20psi of boost, and since most people run less than 20psi in most cases, the heatsoak issue is damn near non-existent..

Obviously, without airflow, any air-air intercooler will eventually heatsoak, since the turbo is not blowing out cold air. This goes for FMIC's as well... which is why we always want a source of airflow going through the core...

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
WRC_Obsessed said:
Thanks for starting the thread Boosted. I keep going back and forth between a tmic and a fmic.
are you staying with the vf30 or going bigger?

·
Banned
29 Posts
Sport Compact Car APS I/C Ariticle

In the new (12/03) edition of Sport Compact Car Magazine p. 182, there is a 13-page acticle regarding the new APS TMIC intercooler fitted on their WRX project car. This acticle gives pluses, and surprising a number of minuses regarding the large I/C effectiveness. I have the large APS I/C unit on my rex and this article hits it right on the nose. It's not that much better than stock, certainly not a good mod from a cost-to-performance standpoint.

This is a very detailed article with dyno plots and descriptions of various install problems encountered with their build-up car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm running the vf34, hks downpipe w/o heatshield and I'm getting some heatsoak while sitting in traffic.

I have the GT-Spec splitter on and it rubbed on the passenger side of the IC.:( I had to resort to putting a rubber hose across the splitter and having it ground down.

There goes the resale value...:mad:

Noksie

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Snowvert said:
are you staying with the vf30 or going bigger?
For the time being I am going to stay with the 30. A year or two down the line that may change.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i picked up a TXS hyperflow and im glad i did it. Im not sure how much gains i will get with just the stage 3. Ill go see the txs website and see how much it "claims" im am going to get.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts