Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides Jeremy Clarkson?

Just curious when and why people turn it off.

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
Mustang drivers, when there is a crowd about and they want to act a fool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,618 Posts
So, not a WRX, but I've played around with both the VSC and TC modes quite a bit in my BRZ. It's a tail-happy car (which I like), so rather than go full VSC/TC-off, I simply use VSC sport mode. It introduces more delay into when the nannies step in and try to save your hash in a slide, but doesn't really turn them off. Though I associate wheelspin with TC, it seems like VSC sport also allows a bit more of that.

Actually turning TC completely off in this car is quite a dance, a sequence of things you do right after turning on the car.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I turn it off in deep snow or on rough, rutty and frozen unpaved backroads. Sometimes, if conditions are particularly slippery, I'll turn it off. Sometimes, for a hard pull I'll turn it off too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 13 STi , I turn mine off in the rain , it's fun to slide it around corners . But also when driving the canyons around where I live , the TCS can slow you down a little . I still haven't figured out that center diff control yet ...any advise ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I turn my traction control off and engage launch control at the strip. I turn traction control off, but leave Stabilitrak on at the track. The stock suspension is tuned to understeer just a bit. However, you can induce oversteer pretty quickly. I set the MRC to "Track" mode at either venue.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used to turn if off with my Z4--could get some impressive drifts that way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I had my Mustang, there was an option to program the TCS as disabled in the ECU via a tuner..... I had that done....

But I always drive my WRX with TCS off because it feels like it bogs less and I can induce more oversteer when I'm being stupid. :D

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
I'm actually going to have traction control in a few months!

... in a Focus RS

·
Registered
367 Posts
I turn my TC off everytime I want to have fun on ice. Its way easier to break the rear end loose.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Really Spendy?

And no, I am not sure it is the right choice. No car I have ever bought was exactly what I wanted. I built the WRX to drive the way I wanted.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Turn of the TCS whenever I want to be "in control". However, despite what some might say on here, I got more out of sem-permenantly disabling the hill assist.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I turn it off every time I get in the car. It's feels like it bogs the car down with it on. I wish I could disable that hill asset thing forever.

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
Your traction control doesn't do anything until you are messing up profoundly. So if it's "bogging you down" you should investigate your driving habits.

The hill assist should be able to be disabled, it is on my car. I did it a while ago and it never came back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts