ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I've never been a huge bike fan, but when I like a bike, it's always a Cafe Racer/Streetfighter/Naked bike. I like some crotchrockets and some cruisers, but my real love is the "comfortable middle" between these two...

So my dad's got a Honda Magna (sweet cruiser) and he's been trying to get me into bikes so I can ride with him. I still need to get my endorsement.

There was a thread on Nabisco about Cafe Racers yesterday so it got me searching... Buell, Ducati, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda... All make pretty decent cafe racer/streetfighter/naked bikes but none really struck a chord with me (well except for maybe the Buell Lightning XB12S or the Ducati Monsters :eek3: )

Until I stumbled upon this...

The SV650

I'm in love with this damn bike! I must have one!!

Vostok 7

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
looks nice, i dont no much about bikes.. but you should talk to the guy with the clown hangin icon. he's a bike dude.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I personally like the Yamaha FZR1000. Compoftable bike, retro styling, lots of oomph, and can pull the decent wheelie when the chicks are cruising the boulevard. My dad likes the Honda shadow 1100 though and it looks bada$$.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If you're into that style of bike, you should check out the Triumph Speed Triple. You can't beat their build quality and styling. Great performance too with a 955cc 118hp, inline-3. It's probably a bit more expensive than the Suzuki though. One of my friends is getting one of these in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aheineken said:
If you're into that style of bike, you should check out the Triumph Speed Triple. You can't beat their build quality and styling. Great performance too with a 955cc 118hp, inline-3. It's probably a bit more expensive than the Suzuki though. One of my friends is getting one of these in a few weeks.

Yeah, the Speed Triples are killer and so is the new Norton (which is $20k btw :eek: :eek3: ) but I'd have to say something like the Honda 919 and 599 would be the top end of my price range. If I could kick it I'd go for like the Buell... But I still got like 3 years on my car and if I have to finance a bike I don't want to be out another 5yrs with $200+ a mo. payments.

So far I haven't heard many negatives about the SV650. I've heard the 919/599 are small, and I'm a big guy, but I don't want to go to a big bike like the FZ1/6.

Not to mention the SV650 is like the cheapest of all the naked bikes I've seen.

Vostok 7

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Do yourself a favour..........

Dont get somthing beyond your capabilites,

You WILL attempt to keep up with the bike.

And you will get hurt or killed.

Get a cruiser and take a saftey course and enjoy the wind.

Shotgun

·
Registered
460 Posts
ah bikes - Love em but I will stick to cars - I am afradi I would hurt myslef very badly on one....My friend had a Ducati 900 and it was awesome and my other friend has a ninja zx11 - fun to look at, but I dont even trust them enogh to go for a ride with them.....I think a lot of dangerous people have bikes...but if you can handle it go for it man.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Danbob said:
I think a lot of dangerous people have bikes
Have you ever paid attention to half the people who drive cars?

The SV650(s) is a good beginner bike that you wouldn`t likely grow out of, and it has a sort of cult following. Check out www.svrider.com for more info on them. As for the Speed 3... its not really a beginner bike, don`t get me wrong, it is a Triumph (;)) but its still not for people who havn`t rode before, neither is the XB12. Go to some shops near you and sit on the SV before you make up your mind, though, its got a very tall gas tank that just doesn`t feel right to me (I`ve got an 04 GSXR, and had an 00 GSXR, so its not that I dislike Suzuki).

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I own that bike. I'm not dealing with a huge thread here so send me a message on AIM: cyril7grey
and i'll tell you all about it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
a lil late to the thread but ...

the sv650 is one of the best bikes around, imo. vtwin power, nimble, comfy, great beginner bike, and easily modded for racer types at the track.

i had the pleasure of riding one down the cherahola skyway (sp?) and it absolutely rocked! best damn small bike around. i'd own one in an instant.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
SpeedKills said:
Have you ever paid attention to half the people who drive cars?
Yes, but in a car you more of a "margin for error". :)

Hey, I love bikes, too! Just haven't reached a point in my life where it makes sense to get back on one.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
Yes, but in a car you more of a "margin for error". :)

Not really, you just have a less likely chance of hurting yourself if you **** up. I think EVERYONE should ride a bike for atleast a week before they get their license, then they might not be so stupid in their cars. Cars don`t require enough attention, and 99% of people driving cars don`t realize they`re driving a 3,000+lbs weapon. I`ve still to figure out why I need a special license to ride a 370lbs bike, but some dumb blonde cheerleader can go to the dmv, get her permit and jump right into an Excursion if she has the means.
:confused:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
SpeedKills said:
Not really, you just have a less likely chance of hurting yourself if you **** up. I think EVERYONE should ride a bike for atleast a week before they get their license, then they might not be so stupid in their cars. Cars don`t require enough attention, and 99% of people driving cars don`t realize they`re driving a 3,000+lbs weapon. I`ve still to figure out why I need a special license to ride a 370lbs bike, but some dumb blonde cheerleader can go to the dmv, get her permit and jump right into an Excursion if she has the means.
:confused:
Can I get an Amen?

Shotgun

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
SpeedKills said:
Not really, you just have a less likely chance of hurting yourself if you **** up.
Yeah, that's what I meant by saying you have more of a margin for error in a car. You can make more of an error and not kill yourself. I'm not going to argue semantics with you...

I do agree that riding a bike is an eye-opener. I'm a better automobile driver for it, that's for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts