ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Im planning on Getting a 02-03 WRX, and there are quite a few nice dirt roads right by me...along the main dirt road there washes that get flooded, but not to bad at certain times. I was wonder who all takes their rex in the dirt and Mud, and what do you do before you take it into these conditions.

Im planning on adjustable springs, and a 2nd set of rims with snow dirt tires on it.

Any oterh preparations i should take?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I havent had a chance yet but I am going camping next weekend... Well see how the dirt roads are :). Mud comes in winter, now thats going to be fun! :D

-Joe

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
ALT+F4 said:
Ok Im planning on Getting a 02-03 WRX, and there are quite a few nice dirt roads right by me...along the main dirt road there washes that get flooded, but not to bad at certain times. I was wonder who all takes their rex in the dirt and Mud, and what do you do before you take it into these conditions.

Im planning on adjustable springs, and a 2nd set of rims with snow dirt tires on it.

Any oterh preparations i should take?
I got enough dust on mine parked in the garage thank you.......

DRIVE it in the dirt?..................

Sht, I cry when it rains.

Shotgun

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been down some hilly dirt roads at speed with the stock tires. You know that rock solid grip that makes you feel like you can take anything a paved road can throw at you? That confidence of being planted to the surface? It is still there on gravel. The only difference is a very small and predictable drift on turns. Don't coast through turns but stay on the gas a bit.

I was amazed the first time I experienced this and appreciated my car even more. All WRXers should tackle a gravel road at least once. This is after all a car with a rally pedigree.

Most of the time I stay away from weather and stones given how thin the paint is.

·
Banned
96 Posts
I live on a dirt road with a 90 degree bend half way through it ..I like the dirt road holeshots...fun ,BUT...I can NEVER... I MEAN NEVER!!!!able to have a clean car cuz of the dirt.....JAVA BLACK .

When it pour here especially in the summer monsoon style
the road turns into a mud bog.I have fun going down my road in my rex but when I had my stang gt it sucked so bad.One time I was turning on the road from my driveway and my stang started to get spin a little..so I proceceed give it some gas to spin out of it bout ten seconds later the stang is sitting on the frame buried.

AWD ROCKS!!

check the pic it just rained

·
Registered
218 Posts
The day after I got my WRX me and some friends went to some Forrest Service roads that are gravel. I was going slow at first but picked up speed to where we were doing 60-70 through the woods. I did nothing to the car to get it ready for it. We almost lost it on a right then left s but I was able to save it with instinct.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I drove on some dirt country roads by Cave spring GA yesterday. Tons of fun. Had a friend in a 03 mini cooper S folowing me. He could keep up prety well on the pavement but I left him behind on the dirt. Just be real smooth on the throttle imputs on the dirt.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Honestly I feel like I drive faster in the rex on gravel than I do in my rally car, but its only because of the better suspension and stuff on the eclipse. It doesn't feel like you're going as fast.

70 in the rex feels equivalent to about 100 in the rally car.

Everybody BE CAREFUL. There's a reason that we are required to have cages and hundreds (maybe even thousands) of dollars of safety equipment in rally. Gravel is never as predictable as you think, and you never know what is coming around the next corner. Plus, trees jump out in front of you.

Jay

·
Registered
302 Posts
digitalexpl0it said:
I take mine on mountain roads and dirt roads all the time

when i got shooting, hiking, rappelling
Yup, mine got all muddy this weekend looking for waves at the end of dirt roads. Get the tail out on the WRX, then get the tail out on the shortboard.

Very nice.

It is set up as it is in mud as it is on the tarmac. Much more fun on in the mud tho.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats really sweet to know that you don't have to change a but load of parts if any around to transition from road to dirt!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
With the OEM summer tires, I have taken the STi through some serious mud. Deeper than the STi badges on the fog covers. Through 6-8 in water at over 40mph. Down numerous dirt roads.
With all season tires, I have taken it through snow drifts above the hood of the car. Through constant snow over the lower grille. Mucky dirt/water/slush crapola.
My old 2003 WRX went through off road trails (sand, mud) with summer tires. Lots of snow and ice, mud, and dirt. The only time the WRX got stuck was on ice and 2 1/2 foot deep snow. It was dug out and somehow made it out (with Kumho 712's).
The only damage that I have had has been a bend in the STi's skid plate. I corrected that with a rubber mallet. The exhaust silencer/baffel had a dent in it. My car has gotten more damage from hit and runs in parking lots than off roading.

Nick

·
Registered
236 Posts
this is a great thread...i havent really taken my wrx through any real serious dirt roads but i cant wait to try. if i can find any!!!
dirty wrb. just beautiful. leave it there and sport the mud. i'd give it a double take.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts