Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you like it?!?

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i hear the sti clutch line is silicone in fact, just wrapped with an ss shroud...is that true?

and if so is it worth it?

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and so what are stock? rubber?

hows teflon better? and is the stainless shrouding just for looks?

·
Registered
956 Posts
i was going to ask the same question. I see them all the time. says gives more of a better responce so your not guessing because of peddle pressure. :confused:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Teflon hoses expand under pressure. The steel braiding is there to prevent the swelling and transfer the pressure to the cylinder being fed.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the mike said:
Teflon hoses expand under pressure. The steel braiding is there to prevent the swelling and transfer the pressure to the cylinder being fed.
nicely cleared up, but wouldnt containing a swelled area cause the area to burst or pop?

are these lines REALLY worth it?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If you have the cash, yes they are worth it.
Essentially what you're doing is taking out all the slop in a line, kind of like putting in an STi tranny mount or shifter bushings.
The steel is there to prevent blowouts, and what you get is a more precise faster acting feel.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Another benefit of PTFE (Teflon is a registered trademark of DuPont) is that it is less prone to breaking down over the years. It does not become brittle with heat cyles. The really good SS braided hoses with have two layers of SS instead of one.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can any of the people making claims of the benefits assure us of this?

do any of you that said they are better have one on your car?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
JDMSubaru said:
can any of the people making claims of the benefits assure us of this?

do any of you that said they are better have one on your car?
Compliance (or expansion) is your enemy in any hydraulic system. If the line doesn't expand, the system is more efficient because the energy is spent pressurizing the system, instead of being wasted on expansion. The steel wrapping the line prevents it from expanding as much (or reduces compliance) so you get faster response. Pretty basic concept.

As far as the clutch line goes, I'd upgrade my brake lines before I did anything with the clutch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts