ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Æternum
20,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I sure don't.

Some back story here -- my 1983 BMW R80RT (pictured) came equipped 3.25H19 front and 4.00H18 rear tires from the factory, both equipped with inner tubes.

Back before I had ownership of the bike, the tires were changed to a bias-ply Tubeless tire with internal safety lip (supposedly works on tube wheels). I'm not sold on that conversion since the wheel doesn't have the safety lip below the beads, so I purchased some Avon RoadRider AM26 bias-ply tires with the intention of using tubes.

Looks like I need 3.25H19 front tube and 4.00H18 rear tube, but can only reliably find these sizes with a TR6 valve stem. My factory manual calls for a TR4 valve stem which apparently has a circular rubber patch under the valve stem. My head is spinning right now. Does anyone know if I can safely use a TR6 valve stem in a wheel spec'd for TR4?

I can't wait to get these new tires on. They are much thinner than the tires currently on the bike, so they should handle considerably better.

·
2,575 Posts
My 1958 MGA and 1965 Vespa 180 SS both have tube tires. Gotta have them with wire wheels!

·
Æternum
20,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 1958 MGA and 1965 Vespa 180 SS both have tube tires. Gotta have them with wire wheels!
There are some modern wire wheels that are tubeless.

Any input on the valve stems?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
2,575 Posts
There are some modern wire wheels that are tubeless.

Any input on the valve stems?
My wheels are 50-60 years old, so the inner tube valve stem just sticks through the wheel like an old bicycle.

Actually, I mis-spoke. The Vespa's wheels are just two-part steel stampings bolted together. But still, just the valve stem through the wheel's hole. I don't know why I was thinking it had wire wheels.

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
I text my aunt. She has been riding for almost 50 years. I'll see if she knows.

You may try a beamer forum as well

·
Æternum
20,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I text my aunt. She has been riding for almost 50 years. I'll see if she knows.

You may try a beamer forum as well
In order to even POST on BMWMOA.org, you have to pay $$. That irritates me. I will donate $ and my time to forums (demonstrated here), but when a forum demands my cash to even participate and THEN capitalizes on ads and vending... that doesn't sit right with me.

advrider.com is another resource, but most people there have modern bikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts