Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here had a MBC or EBC before getting ECU management???? the reason i ask is i currently have a JOE P but have wanted a UTEC or COBB reflash to get more power..... but lately from what iv been hearing is it wont make any difference in power..... but i though the reflash also tunes other things like air/fuel...timeing ect...... to make more HP.... i know the reflash is a safer way to go but not sure if it worth that FREEEEKING much $$$$$$ for very little gain....

so if someone has done the reflash after having a BC of some sort did you feel any impovemant at all.... if so how much

thanks

·
980 Posts
I did. The Joe P was great but there is this thing with partial throttle and full boost that leads to higher EGTs which I wasn't big on, so I stopped using it and recently bought a UTEC. The UTEC allows you to safely up the boost by compensating by adding the right ammount of fuel to keep your engine cooler. The logging features are also great so you know exactly what is going on under the bonnet. As far as gains go, I remember how awesome the Joe P MBC was, but I also remember boost spiking while I wasn't fully on the throttle, and I just knew it wasn't good for the engine :D

chris

·
980 Posts
As far as the UTEC goes, I think I'm seeing even better gains. Or maybe thats just the feeling I'm getting that I'm adding enough fuel (actually running a bit rich = safety margin), that makes me feel better. Also there is nothing stopping you from continuing to use your Joe P MBC after getting engine management as I am told it helps build boost faster. I'd just rather be able to adjust my boost map from inside my car with the laptop and remote switch rather than popping the hood and turning the MBC adjusting screw.

chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a TurboXS boost controller and am really getting tired of adjusting the boost everytime the temp. changes. Sometimes between 3pm and midnight, it will require a tweak. If I don't tweak it, I either boost spike (bad for the car) or don't get full power. I also don't like the boost wavering (common with all boost controllers) where it feels like I'm riding the clutch.

I'm not knocking the TurboXS HPBC, it's a great product from a great company. I love the power I get from it compared to stock, but the Cobb reflash is next on the list to preserve my car and get a more sophisticated power curve. I just hope that my local tuner will be able to dyno tune my Cobb reflashed ECU soon. ;)

Back to your question though, I do think that the timing adjustments and A/F ratios will give you more power (hp and torque) over just boost.

·
Banned
968 Posts
I had a Joe P MBC, then I got UTEC.....

HUGE diffrence.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a boostvalve MBC before a Unichip. MBC gave good response in 1st but lacked power overall (ran boost same as stock)

Unichip (or whatever you use) will alter air/fuel mixtures to lean it out a bit, advance timing and tinker with boost.

Car and owner are much happier now :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a GABEDUDE design MBC for a year without any problems. It's a homemade ball/spring (grainger safety valve) with integrated bleed valve. The ball/spring is set to about 10-11 psi, and then I just opened the valve to get 15 - 15.5psi. This made adjustment much easier (just turn the brass needle valve under the hood).

With that particular MBC, I have not experienced any PTFB problems at all.

But when I got the Unichip (VS1), the powerband was definitely smoother (less jerkiness transitioning on/off boost), but I am sure I felt a loss in power. It got even smoother with the addition of an EMI adapter.

Now I'm on VS2, and still have the Unichip/EMI setup. Can't do VS2 without engine management.

·
Banned
968 Posts
jugger said:
please elaborate on the differences
Um, it pulled incredibly harder in every gear, like a whole new car.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
I was running the Blitz SBC-id EBC with my unichip set-up, until I recently went with the UTEC and stock boost solenoid. Yes, it does not spool up as quickly as the EBC did, but just like fengshui mentioned, there is no fear of partial throttle full boost with the UTEC boost control. You can make the UTEC boost control spool up almost as fast though, just takes a little R&D and playing with settings. I am really happy with my UTEC at this current moment, and will probably be selling the SBC-id in the near future.

The current off the shelf maps for the UTEC have a very noticeable difference of power in the mid range hp/torque areas. You can feel the power come on from down low throughout the RPM range, unlike you can with the stock ECU. Believe me, I went from a Unichip and EMI adaptor, which I thought was pretty potent. I also had the mid range hp/torque worked out. But the UTEC with an off the shelf map had so much more and was so much smoother throughout the rpm range. Just my $.02.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
michaelwrx said:
I had a boostvalve MBC before a Unichip. MBC gave good response in 1st but lacked power overall (ran boost same as stock)

Unichip (or whatever you use) will alter air/fuel mixtures to lean it out a bit, advance timing and tinker with boost.

Car and owner are much happier now :D
actually, i don't think the unichip alters timing. just a/f. correct me if i'm wrong, but that was the benefit of the UTEC (among others) over the Unichip.

if you don't like adjusting the MBC all the time, get an EBC. i have it, and adjustment on the fly (i fine tune it on the highway while driving sometimes, it's that simple) is a piece of cake.

i'm probably going with the ECUtek reflash by the end of october (depending on the wallet after the suspension upgrades :D ) i'm hoping to see increased smoothness and safety w/ the loss PTFB in 5th gear. but i'm not too psyched about all this talk of increaed lag. :confused: is it that noticable?

dR

·
Banned
601 Posts
"I was running the Blitz SBC-id EBC with my unichip set-up, until I recently went with the UTEC and stock boost solenoid. Yes, it does not spool up as quickly as the EBC did, but just like fengshui mentioned, there is no fear of partial throttle full boost with the UTEC boost control."

this is what my post that got locked on wrx hackers had to do with.. if you read it, you might find it easier to get more boost in first and second gear with the utec(at least),....sorry to hijack this thread.... it's called "what does your boost map look lie?...in case you wanted to check it out.. course it got locked cause I was missinforming people with the info in it:)....it's pretty much just my theory of how you can use different boost levels in the boost map to get better boost in lower gears by using differend tps in different gears....but whatever.. I personally think the utec can spool as fast as any boost control out there... that's probably missinformation though:)...

peace

·
Registered
126 Posts
Unichip does alter timing. It does it off the crank angle sensor. A/F and boost control is done in closed loop mode whilst timing is done everywhere.

dark_rex said:
actually, i don't think the unichip alters timing. just a/f. correct me if i'm wrong, but that was the benefit of the UTEC (among others) over the Unichip.

if you don't like adjusting the MBC all the time, get an EBC. i have it, and adjustment on the fly (i fine tune it on the highway while driving sometimes, it's that simple) is a piece of cake.

i'm probably going with the ECUtek reflash by the end of october (depending on the wallet after the suspension upgrades :D ) i'm hoping to see increased smoothness and safety w/ the loss PTFB in 5th gear. but i'm not too psyched about all this talk of increaed lag. :confused: is it that noticable?

dR

·
Registered
421 Posts
Could i keep my mbc turboxs controller in my car with a utec? A lot of people to this? What is the purpose?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had any problems with the UTEC? I'm looking to do this mod sometime soon, just wanted to hear if anyone had any other recommendations (I've seen a lot of people reflashing) or problems with the UTEC.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone know if it is bad to run a MBC with the ECUtek?
I have heard that it wont do any damage while boosting...but there could be a problem at idle or crusing speeds....

Anyone here about this?, or is running a MBC with the ECUtek?

My car is tuned to about 1.5 bar max, but sometimes it tapers off a little...I know it doesnt ping, so I want to make it stay solid at 1.5 bar. Some nights it only goes to 1.3, so I am hoping the MBC will do the trick....

please help :)

thanks
-freddie

·
Registered
126 Posts
Unless our running a turbo that can hold that boost to redline an MBC is not going to achieve that. Nothing wrong with running an MBC with an ECUTEK, just like running one with a unichip.

The benefit is that you can sometimes control boost better. ECUTEK and Unichip can give spikes.

How do you know your car is not pinging? Just because you dont hear it doesn't mean it isnt happening. When you hear it it is at a bad stage.

Your crusing or idle question is no applicable. Your car is not making boost in either situation so the MBC is not doing anything.

Original1WRX2NV said:
Does anyone know if it is bad to run a MBC with the ECUtek?
I have heard that it wont do any damage while boosting...but there could be a problem at idle or crusing speeds....

Anyone here about this?, or is running a MBC with the ECUtek?

My car is tuned to about 1.5 bar max, but sometimes it tapers off a little...I know it doesnt ping, so I want to make it stay solid at 1.5 bar. Some nights it only goes to 1.3, so I am hoping the MBC will do the trick....

please help :)

thanks
-freddie

·
Registered
40 Posts
thanks for the reply,

I dont think it is pinging because it has been tuned, and it doesnt hesitate or anything else that would make me believe it was...

Yes I have a good turbo that can hold good boost...it is a PE1820. Like I stated, sometimes It boosts to about 1.3 bar...which is a bit low, since it usualy hit 1.5 bar.

I just wanted to know if I put on the MBC, if I can get that to stay there...longer...and safely!!! I can feel a difference when I get more boost. But then again, I heard that the MBC on the ECUtek wasnt good...infact I heard that it can blow your motor at idle or cruising. :confused:

It didnt make sence to me,...thats why I am asking...just so I know. So, I guess thats the main question...lol....

Anyone have a MBC on with the ECUtek for a period of time and have good results? Please share :)

thanks again for your reply,

-freddie

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am going for tuning next week with my 1820-equipped setup, and I was told by my tuner that it IS possible to run ECUtek AND an MBC/EBC. I also had complaints about varying boost levels, and I was told that it is the ecu's way of maintaining performance. On some days, it requires more boost to hit a certain performance level, while on others, less is needed. That is what I was told.

I asked them these questions simply because I was not happy with how slow the turbo spooled up with the FBC as opposed to the EBC I had before. It was at this point that they mentioned that if after the tune I was unhappy with the spoolup characteristics of the FBC, then I could always switch without any problems at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts