• no, i don't like driving like a race driver

Votes: 21 39.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of u double clutch all the time, i started off heel and toeing every down shift and one day i decided to teach my self double clutching, and now ive lost the motor skills to regular heel and toe, i can double clutch allllll day long though, so smooth, its also more satisfying, esp hard on the brakes doing a double double clutch, ie 4->3->2 w/ out a pause inbetween. that took some practice..
just curious, who double clutches?

·
1,816 Posts
I do it in every manual car I drive (although some make it extremely difficult to heel-toe). It is especially rewarding when i go from 4->3->2 before making a 90 degree turn down a sidestreet. After a little practice and being mindfull of how you drive, anyone can learn and it will become 2nd nature.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
just to clarify this, double clutching is when, say you're in 4th, and wanna go to 3rd. so you put the clutch in, go to neutral, let clutch out, rev throttle, put clutch in, shift to 3rd, and in this way, the car doesn't throb at all, right? it stays a smooth speed? if this is right, then i double clutch just about every time i downshift.

i've heard of doing it while upshifting, but i don't see the point in doing this. can someone explain the signifigance of it?

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I double clutch everytime I downshift and sometimes when I upshift (minus blipping the throttle). May be why I still have a tranny :D

S

·
0 Posts
lol.

i double clutch when im downshifting nd sometimes upshifting. when upshifting nd theirs a slow car in front of me...i have to pause nd roll because theirs no point to put it in gear nd waste that gas. nd then im like the hell with that. nd i go to the next lane nd then put it into gear....ermm...yehh...thats SORT-OF double clutching actually. lol. more like rev-matching because of the pause. but then yeh. i like to think of it as double clutching since i clutched out while i rolled then clutched in to rev-match nd go ahead. :wiggles: :D :D

sometimes i like to downshift without the double clutch to feel that "im a racer" feeling...or maybe its the "im a ricer" feeling. iono. haha... my transmission hates me sometimes. :mad: :wiggles: :cool: ;)

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
since i got my new tires..which are the right size..my car doesnt grind nearly as much...when i had my old tires on (205/50/16) they were the wrong size, and that seemed like my car grinded much more! Like the wheels were spinning way faster then they should have been for a given rpm..thats my guess anyway.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
DUBA_Rob said:
you need new synchros.

I just Heel/Toe when necessary.
f that, it doesnt bother me that much at all! I just pretend i have a straight cut dogbox...minus the whine..oh well. haha

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
chanwahyaoh said:
I let my sychros do the work for me.
Me too. I'm a pretty gentle shifter. Well, most of the time.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Double clutching is not really necessary in a car with synchros. If you're getting grinding in 4th...or any other gear just pust GM synchromesh and forget about it. I had the grinds and put in the GM...problem gone

·
Registered
368 Posts
I both rev match and heel-toe while downshifting, depending on what the situation calls for (using the brakes, or just engine braking to slow down a bit). I never really double clutch while upshifting though. Tried for a while, didn't really seem to help much, so I stopped doing it. But downshifting, oh yeah. All the time. Makes me sound like a motorcycle.:)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Like I said earlier. Add a quart of GM Synchromesh or Vavoline Synchromesh and say goodbye to your grindage. It works!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts