ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Working on an 02 WRX sedan. As far as I'm aware it's the stock front swaybar. I installed the endlinks with spacers and they didn't look right to me, so I installed the other side without spacers and those didn't look right either. What do you think? Do I need to add or subtract a spacer or just go with one of these two... or possibly something else?
The first two images are without spacers, the second two images are with spacers.

^^without spacers
VV with spacers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did search, I just didn't find anything that seemed close to what I'm experiencing.

I kind of think I should just use the top spacer. Also, they are torqued to 32ish ft/lbs.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,063 Posts
Whiteline 24mm adjustable bar.

2002 USA model 4-door.

·
29,063 Posts

·
29,063 Posts

·
29,063 Posts
My question is, why are you installing those end links with the stock bar?

The stock end links are adequate even for a bigger bar like mine. I didn’t really need the fancy end links; I just had money left over from booze that I wasted on parts.

·
29,063 Posts
Also were my endlinks always a different colour to yours or have they faded despite never being in direct sunlight? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
Color saturation on newer phone cameras can be hit or miss.

I'd be put off by the angle of the swaybars side of the link. It may cause excessive wear. However I know how those bars are made and the "care" that goes into them so they may have had that same awkward joint from the factory.

·
29,063 Posts
I’m beginning to suspect the combination of stock bar and whiteline link isn’t ideal because I like my angles with the whiteline bar better than OP’s with the stock bar.

I don’t know that the angle actually makes a difference though frankly.

My bar has never made any noises or given me any worry, and the car corners a lot flatter. So IDK.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My question is, why are you installing those end links with the stock bar?
I don't really like the construction of the stock ones or the ones listed at rockauto so I just went ahead and got the Whitelines I wanted to end up with. The ones I had where most likely the factory originals. Eventually I'm going to get some Whiteline swaybars.
They look the same colour to me as the one in your pic SD. I had hoped they would match the Whiteline ALK but they're much more orangeish yellow than it. At least the fronts will match the rears.

Mine seem like the billet piece would sit better on the bushing if I left the spacer on the swaybar side and none on the LCA side, but I have a feeling that would cause the billet piece to still seem wrong to me in a different way. Comparing with SD's though and the way it sits on his lower bushing would be similar to how mine sit with the spacer on the top and the bottom.

I'd be put off by the angle of the swaybars side of the link. It may cause excessive wear. However I know how those bars are made and the "care" that goes into them so they may have had that same awkward joint from the factory.
That was my thought, but are you speaking of my setup with or without the spacers?
Can you elaborate on the "care" part of that?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m beginning to suspect the combination of stock bar and whiteline link isn’t ideal because I like my angles with the whiteline bar better than OP’s with the stock bar.

I don’t know that the angle actually makes a difference though frankly.

My bar has never made any noises or given me any worry, and the car corners a lot flatter. So IDK.
TBH, yours seem like the billet piece would be perfectly straight if you had the spacer on the bushing side as opposed to the setup you've got now.
I'm not sure if the angle makes any difference either but IMO mine looks like it'd slide off the bushing if I hit one of the many potholes around here lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I changed it around again. Spacer on the swaybar on one side and spacer on the LCA on the other side.Spacer on the LCA end looks a ton better to me. Unfortunately I wasted so much time doing other things today I don't have time to make them match now that I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
I mean that swaybars are half-assed into shape. Work for a company who produces them by the millions. The factory end links are likely better designed and more durable than any aftermarket unit from a small company.

That's my biased opinion

·
29,063 Posts
The angles do look improved. If you drive around on this conformation, have a look after a while to make sure nothing is contacting anything else that it shouldn't.

Hey! You're running Kayaba AGX also. What setting are you using? I'm on 3 front, 2 rear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah, I understand what you're talking about XJman. Thanks for the explanation.

Oh, yeah I'll definitely keep an eye on them but I'm fairly confident that once I get both sides matching I wont have any issues.

I didn't notice yours in the pics you posted. I like my KYBs, I'm a bit disappointed at the rust on them though seeing as how I've had them for about three years but that's more my fault than theirs lol. I've got Tanabe springs and the setup was annoyingly bouncey so I ended up at a 3 at both ends. I love how firm the car rides but the race bushings in the ELK's make the local potholes feel worse than they are. I plan to have a bit softer bushing pressed into those ALK's once I go to the aluminium LCAs.

·
29,063 Posts
I'm on the stock springs and the car is overdamped on virtually any setting, but at 3/2 with the softer springs it won't bounce.

For bars I'm using the stock 20mm in the rear with Kartboy links and the Whiteline adjustable in front with Whiteline links as you know.

I've also swapped out the steering rack bushing because it failed after that many years.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got a 22 mm whiteline sway in the garage, I hadn't ever put it on the car though cause I don't want to leave it there and never order the adjustable one. The next job is to put the rear WL links in.

haha yeah one of the first things I kept reading was that upgraded steering bushings was a night and day difference but of course I went a step further since the rack was leaking and put in a reman 05 STi rack. I don't miss the dead spot in the middle of the stock rack lol

I'm really loving the differences with the suspension upgrades I've done.

·
29,063 Posts
I think you’ll be happy with a 22mm up front.

I don’t recall details but it’s worth warming you that I seem to remember a recall for a rear sway — I believe it was whiteline — because it would cut the brake line (!!!!!).

Make sure you find out the actual details before changing the bar in the rear.

Changing the rear links is actually more worthwhile than changing the front links though, no matter what bar is back there. The rear links are uninspiring.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah that's the first I'd heard of issues with the rear brake lines but I've heard about the stock links letting the bar contact the fuel filler. Since I have to hold off on the tranny swap and I wanted to do coilovers after the tranny, then sway bars after that it'll be a good while unfortunately

I kind of made an educated guess that the rear solid links where a massive improvement over the rubber(?) stockers. I just started with the front links cause I already had it on the ramps for the groupN motor/tranny mounts and TIC tranny mount bushings. I should do a few other things but I don't necessarily need it on ramps to do that stuff lol

·
29,063 Posts
I’d say if you are going to coil overs then hold off on the bars. The spring rates are going to be dramatically increased and the coils may afford you attitude and tilt control without sacrificing independence, whereas with bars you’d be losing independence to minimise lean.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts