Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night in dusk light, I noticed I have a bunch of white spots on my rear window. I heard something about this a long time ago, but can't remember the fix, if there is one. Anybody know how to get rid of them?

·
Registered
785 Posts
It sounds like its just from water (hard water or soft water, I don't know). Try wiping them with a damp cloth or window cleaner.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine actually has those, too. I even saw them the very first day I got my car at dusk as well. You can see them even better if you wear polarizeed sunglasses Not sure what those are. I tried taking Windex and wiping off the window both inside and out to no avail. I don't think it's any big deal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I forgot to mention that my wife's Audi A4 has those white spots on her rear window as well. It must be some kind of light tint or film. Actually, I wonder if it has anything to do with the rear window defogger???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well I got 2 answers on this topic from another WRX forum. I think I will go with #2. ::)

1) What have you been doing in the rear seat of your car?

2) It's caused by a combination of the tinting process and the rear defogger wires. Microscopic bubble form during the process and are usually invisable. Sometimes you can see the resultant "haze" under the conditions you describe. It's normal, most cars have it to a degree and there is nothing you can do about it because it is between the glass and coating material.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Are you talking about the rather large (ping-pong or golf-ball sized) geometric pattern of white translucent dots in the rear window?

If so I was told by the factory Toyota/Lexus rep (when I worked at a local dealership) that they are from the tempering/construction process when the glass is fitted with a defroster.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
is2scooby said:
Are you talking about the rather large (ping-pong or golf-ball sized) geometric pattern of white translucent dots in the rear window?
If you talking about "water spots" that are white. It most likely is due to hard water. Water is termed "hard" when it contains excessive amounts of calcium. It generally leaves a calcium deposit (so to speak) as it dries. You could get some of that CLR stuff and use it since it is on your window. I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that CLR is a form of acid, and should get rid of the calcium. DO NOT USE IT ON PAINT! I hope that was clear. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts