Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so because I'm sick, I decided to run up to the gas station about a mile and a half away and get some bottled water.

As I'm sitting in traffic, I see white smoke coming out of the hoodscoop...

Then I FINALLY get into the gas station parking lot, and I lift my hood to find the white smoke coming from the turbo area.

I didn't really run it that hard on the way there, so I don't know what the heck happened.

Same thing happened on the way back, just not as bad :(

PLEASE HELP!! :(

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
phast said:
Check your oil and coolant lines in the vicinity of the turbo.
Do that, if not, have you done any installs lately?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shard said:
Do that, if not, have you done any installs lately?
Nope, not that I can think of :)

Well, I put back on my stock muffler yesterday... (until the RFL comes) :rolleyes:

Here's some pics from up top of the turbo

Are the discolored lines normal??

:(

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, I boosted on the way back (like a dumbass)...

I did a 2nd and 3rd gear pull and everything seemed fine...

The smoke is not EXCESSIVE, it's just a faint white smoke that was visible when coming out of the hoodscoop. It wasn't SMOKE, SMOKE, like out of a smoke stack, but it was white and had smokey attributes :(

Now that I think about it, I was doing something while the car was idling in the driveway (for about 10 min er so) before I left for the gas station...

Heat issues?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,725 Posts
The discoloration is not normal. You may have a coolant leak. Check ALL the lines in the area, including the main feeds just under the cap platform - and check the cap itself, you may just get lucky and it's loose or something. There is coolant coming from somewhere.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SD_GR said:
The discoloration is not normal. You may have a coolant leak. Check ALL the lines in the area, including the main feeds just under the cap platform - and check the cap itself, you may just get lucky and it's loose or something. There is coolant coming from somewhere.
So that white stuff on the turbo is not normal?

Should I just try and tighten everything?

·
19,725 Posts
No, check for discoloration around all the coolant lines. Also check for it under the rad cap and under the flat top platform (expansion chamber) the rad cap bolts to. My concern is that by tightening everything up you won't know what the problem was or why, or (unlikely, granted) you'll induce a leak. Also, some of the lines cannot be tightened, their connectors are springed.

I have no discoloration in the turbo area beyond the very stylish rust that you also have. The white stuff ought not be there. The last time I saw something like that *anywhere* under the bonnet, it was coolant.

You may or may not be able to reproduce the leak by idling the motor and looking as it runs. I wasn't, and it was my rad itself leaking. If you're lucky you will be.

From the photo it doesn't look like oil. Oil will either burn, or not -- so you'll either get smudge or nothing.

Also from the photo, all you really know is where the stuff is ending up. Under pressure, a leak can travel quite a ways. Don't be afraid to look all over the engine bay. I got splashes all the way in the back from a front leak. Your splashes are high up, so I'd suspect a line somewhere on the passenger side. Start at one end and look...

I see you have an uppipe installed - did you replace the stock hose clamps with screw-types? You may as well start there first, it's possible those could be tightened down a touch if they're the source - you must find the source...

Good luck and have fun.

SD

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the 5 places I should check around the turbo... or is there more? I'll take some more pics too

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
As I look more around my engine bay, I see that white crusty stuff in a lot of places...:(

...I always figured it was from the salty ass winters

·
19,725 Posts
OK, that's actually good in a way. Check the seams of your radiator for white stuff, and check the sides of the rad also. Anything?

What about the underside of the power steering lines, the passenger side strut tower, and under the snorkel (if you have one; if you don't that's also a sign the leak if more forward than I'd thought originally - less splash barriers).

Post back.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's some more pics of white stuff I found...:(

Driver side green bracket that goes over the injectors

·
19,725 Posts
Your alarm horn.

Show us the rad.