ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a theory about white cars. Simply stated, all white cars must be faster than an equal car differing only in color.

White or light colored cars must be faster than black or darker colored cars mostly due to physics. White objects are reflecting all of the light off of them as opposed to black or darker objects which are absorbing all of the light they car. By having a black car, you are absorbing more light. Light has mass, therefore your black car must weigh more.

Let's say that we have a white STi and a black STi. The white STi not only is lighter because it is not absorbing light to produce its color (value really, black and white are values not hues) but the light is hitting it and bouncing off of it. Think of it like a crochet ball hitting a stopped crochet ball. The stopped ball will go flying because the force from the moving ball is transfered to the stopped ball. The black STi however suffers from absorbing more light particles and not getting the 'boost" benefit from the light bouncing off of the car.

Further backing up my theory that white cars are faster is the Theory of Relativity. Time passes more slowly around objects that are moving more quickly. Since the white STi is moving more quickly due to the light absorption and light-boosting-affect, time will be passing in the opposite fashion (more slowly). This will technically make the white STi able to travel back in time. It is possible to be considered traveling "back in time" because the black STi is not benefiting from the increased speed. So if both cars start at the same time, the white STi will always win but partly due to its ability to slow the passing of time around itself.

As the white STi moves faster and faster, the air around the car will start to warm. I am sure you all have seen the "wavy heat lines" during the summer when air molecules are heating up on pavement or the hood of your car. When mass is heated, the molecules move around more rapidly and the object becomes less solid. This point can also be explained the same way that a cool air intake is - the colder the air is, the more compact it is, the more air you can cram into the engine. Well, as the white STi cuts through the air at increasing speeds it is warming the air. As the air warms the molecules become more and more excited and separated (expanded). Since the air molecules are separating more as they warm (and become more excited) the air is easier to drive through producing less resistance on the body of the car. This affect can also be likened to a hot knife through butter.

Let's not forget gravity. Since the white STi is lighter than the black STi (remember, the light), gravity has less of an affect on the car. Therefore, the white STi has a higher power-to-weight ratio enabling the car to move faster.

Now, let's review: The white car does not absorb light, so it's lighter which makes gravity take less of a toll and increases the power-to-weight ratio which makes the car travel faster therefore heating the air around the body to lessen air resistance which again increases the speed of the car enabling the Theory of Relativity to kick in and slow the pace at which time passes.

Dang. I should have gotten a white STi...:wiggles:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
soggynoodles said:
If you want to be fast and do a little time travel on the side, I would get one of these bad boys. Just take her to 88mph.
The problem with using a DeLorean to traverse time is that during a race, someone will notice if you disappear and then reappear at the end. The key to using time travel as a means of being faster in a race is having it be subtle, so the other racer does not notice. The white colored car will not spew flames from the tires, rather it will move just a little further into the future to win. It's also more environmentally friendly not have flaming tries.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
If white cars have light reflect off them rather than being absorbed by them, shouldn't this negatively affect thier quickness? If a photon hits the front of the car, it transfers energy to the car in the opposite direction the car is traveling, wouldn't this slow the car down?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry, but light does not have mass. Light is composed of photons which are massless. I just had lecture about this today in my chemistry class. Light does have momentum so it can exert pressure on an object. Your theory would apply but it would not be correct since light exerts pressure and not mass, it will not matter which color the car is.

There is one condition where light does have mass but is would have to be transmitted in a mirrored box. Here is a link I just looked up for more information.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/light_mass.html

Check it out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dark_rex said:
:bs:

Delorieans can't go 88mph!
On a side-note, I drove to work late today at about 9:30 well after rush hour (dentist appointment) and hit 130mph on the expressway. There were no cars in the passing lane, at all. How could I let that rare traffic oddity pass by without taking action? It simply would have been wrong. Anyway, I would have been able to go faster if my car wasn't black...

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
zoophagy said:
If white cars have light reflect off them rather than being absorbed by them, shouldn't this negatively affect thier quickness? If a photon hits the front of the car, it transfers energy to the car in the opposite direction the car is traveling, wouldn't this slow the car down?

crazy, i was going to respond with the same thing... lol

then i thought about ti. as long as the exposed surface area and light source were relatively uniform from front to back, the effect would be nullified.

on the other hand, if you're travelling more than half the speed of light (that's one WHITE Sti) the effect would be minimized b/c the photons on the front would have twice the effect as the photons on the rear.

the argument as far as downforce works though, unless you're driving ON the surface of the sun, which of course couldn't work, because you'd be vaporized from the gravity and heat.

anyways...

dR

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Turbo Maniac said:
Sorry, but light does not have mass. Light is composed of photons which are massless. I just had lecture about this today in my chemistry class. Light does have momentum so it can exert pressure on an object. Your theory would apply but it would not be correct since light exerts pressure and not mass, it will not matter which color the car is.

There is one condition where light does have mass but is would have to be transmitted in a mirrored box. Here is a link I just looked up for more information.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/light_mass.html

Check it out.

light most certainly DOES have mass. keep reading kiddo. ;)

see: black holes

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
zoophagy said:
So would that make black cars faster because they are not reflecting all of the light? Maybe by absorbing the photons the adverse affect of light bouncing off of the car in all directions could be avoided.

Hummm...I might need to revise my theory.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Mostly Hawking I guess.

simple fact is that the immense gravity of black holes absorbs even light.

something devoid of mass, would not be affected by gravity, no?

Hawking theory changed b/c he initially believed nothing escaped a black hole, that matter must be transmitted to an alternate galaxy.

the truth is, some radiation does escape.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts