Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whistle/Whine, possibly from Turbo. Sound dangerous?

The other night I was driving with the windows down and noticed that my 2013 WRX is making a whistling/whining sound when the engine is under load and boost PSI starts to climb

Here's a video:

What does that sound like to you guys? I do have a Cobb SF Intake on there, but that's the only mod, and I haven't heard it sounding quite like this before. I know that whining from the turbo can be a real bad sign, so this has me a bit worried.... still, not positive it's that.

Extra details: no whine when I rev the engine at idle, and you can't really hear it when putting out more serious boost levels (but maybe because it's just being drowned out?) It seems to be most audible when in 3rd gear at about -3 PSI, as you can hear in the video.

I actually just got the clutch replaced by a mechanic that I trust, but he doesn't do a ton of WRX stuff. He gave it the once-over, replaced a loose turbo hose near the throttle body, and said I should be good to go for the big road trip I have coming up next week..... but what do you guys think about the whining sound that's still there?

Some other posts I've read make it sound like this could be a central differential thing too.... from the video and my description, which would your money be on: central diff problem, signs of a bad turbo, boost leak, BPV, or Cobb SF intake whine?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Just looking to see if you figured it out?

My car sounds like a supercharger whine when accelerating. I listened to your video and can't tell if it's more of a whistle or a whine.

Mine sounds like this video, is this the same as yours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QraxtDbv1Ak
I think mine sounds a bit different. Pretty sure it's gearbox whine now :(

·
Super Moderator
10,891 Posts
Hey! Just looking to see if you figured it out?

My car sounds like a supercharger whine when accelerating. I listened to your video and can't tell if it's more of a whistle or a whine.

Mine sounds like this video, is this the same as yours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QraxtDbv1Ak
Look for air leaks. Boost and vacuum side

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
If it's not the trans (although it seems to follow rpm), first places I would look at is the throttle body to intercooler hose (fails under stock boost and rips itself apart) and the turbo inlet (mine collapsed on the turbo side, replaced with the perrin inlet)

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts