ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wrapped up replacing the timing belt along with the water pump, thermo, tensioner, and the idlers. Start it up fine but then this whining noise appears and stays only during idle. When I rev about 1000rpm it goes away but anything lower it comes back. Any thoughts?

Here is a clip of the noise

Belt Whine

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Sounds like the tension is off or one of the parts holding tension is installed incorrectly or failing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
After I replaced my timing belt / water pump with a kit I got off of ebay, I had some serious whining for several thousand miles. It quieted itself after a while, and its probably 30-40k miles later and still no issues.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
After I replaced my timing belt / water pump with a kit I got off of ebay, I had some serious whining for several thousand miles. It quieted itself after a while, and its probably 30-40k miles later and still no issues.
You are a brave soul for purchasing a timing belt kit off eBay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are a brave soul for purchasing a timing belt kit off eBay.
I agree, $300 isn't as big a cost as a new engine.

Anyway, I've found the source of the problem, when i replaced the water pump i got the back cover in front of a certain area of it instead of behind it. This pushed the entire casing up against the belt as well as made the lower right guide go out out proper alignment. So i got that all back in order, threw a new gates belt on and adjusted all the guides and have been running fine since then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts