ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with my following mod's... vf34 turbo, sti 565 cc injectors, accessport stage 2.5...
i currently have the following exhaust set-up:
helix up-pipe
turboXS 4" down pipe
turboXS high flow cat
turboXS 3" to 2.5" mid pipe
turboXS rfl-ti axleback

or should i go with this...
3" HKS TBE...

basically my ? is will i gain anything really from going to a full 3" or should i stick with the current set-up?

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
Getting rid of that cat and upping the total diameter to 3" will definitely give you some horsepower and torque, but not a ton. Probably not a great hp/dollar ratio, but that's your call.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Integra96 said:
Getting rid of that cat and upping the total diameter to 3" will definitely give you some horsepower and torque, but not a ton. Probably not a great hp/dollar ratio, but that's your call.
I agree with him get rid of the cat. I would make the piping around all of the same size.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The HKS downpipe is a blank-plate design, so you would be taking out one minor power-restriction (cat) and replacing it with another (blank-plate design)

Realistically, with a full 3" TBE with no cat, you might gain 10-15 HP. The cat isn't a huge power restriction, but at your level of mods, it probably robs you of a little HP. Your call, but don't go with the HKS.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you live in cali, or southern cali for that matter, that highflow 3rd cat is what I'm looking into, because the worst thing ever is to be pulled over for a tail light bulb that burned out on you on the freeway, then they see your straigh pipe from the turbo back. 2100 tickets are yucky. Pefroamcne differences aren't that huge, if you're that adamant about airflow, get a Rally Cat.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Trainrex said:
The Marlboro fuel pump isn't recommended for the 2.5 map. The map is so conservative, the pump will overpower the regulator and make the car run rich at times.
:baaa: it's such a cheap mod, seems like the extra headroom would be worth the $85 bucks.

Sorry, I retract the fuel pump comment, but definately stay with the 4" DP into TXS exhaust....cats are evil.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
:baaa: it's such a cheap mod, seems like the extra headroom would be worth the $85 bucks.

Sorry, I retract the fuel pump comment, but definately stay with the 4" DP into TXS exhaust....cats are evil.
Yup, very eeeeevil. I have the fuel pump and a laptop sitting on my shelf waiting for the Accesstuner. :wiggles:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the insight fellas... I guess i will get a race pipe then to replace the high flow cat...

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
don't get the HKS. just get rid of your cat.

i agree with tim on the fuel pump. spend the short $$ then get reflashed to a stage for for your turbo.

you're so close... might as well do the rest of the job. :)

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
dark_rex said:
don't get the HKS. just get rid of your cat.

i agree with tim on the fuel pump. spend the short $$ then get reflashed to a stage for for your turbo.

you're so close... might as well do the rest of the job. :)

Yeah, but without Accesstuner he can't flash, that's the point...stupid cobb and their super-cheap "the fast easy way" modding paths! :unhappy:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya... I guess then with the tax return's i will order the race pipe... do you guy's think i would feel any diff with the maybe 5 hp i could gain from it, instead of the high flow cat i have now?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts