ClubWRX Forum banner

Which wheels and tires do you like for my light yellow WRX sedan?

• Rota Downshift 17” [url]http://www.subydude.com/parts/details.php?7171024[/url]

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Rota Subzero 17” [url]http://www.subydude.com/parts/details.php?7171024[/url]

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Rota Subzero 18”

• 225's

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • 235's

• Falken ZE-512

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Continental Extreme Contact

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Pirelli P7000

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep it stock stupid!!!

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which wheels and tires do you like for my light yellow WRX sedan?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Your link for the Subzero is the same as the Downshift. I don't like rims with different color lips because they look like ghetto 2 piece. Wider is better for tires as long as they won't rub.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I like the downshifts better than the sub-zeros. GC-knockoffs that look GOOD. If you insist on an AS tire, go with the Pirelli. I really like them on my wifes car. Otherwise, after my little trip through Denver... get the Kumho Ecsta MX's. Sticky and CHEAP!

Definitely get black to go with the mellow-yellow.

I disagree on the polished lip. Black rims with polished lip will look sweet on your car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WTypeRogerX said:
Your link for the Subzero is the same as the Downshift. I don't like rims with different color lips because they look like ghetto 2 piece. Wider is better for tires as long as they won't rub.
17" Subzero (I goofed)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Yeah 18s have an even bigger weight penalty over 17s so they are slower, and have much bigger sacrifice in ride comfort and pothole/rim protection. I don't know if the Falkens are all-season, but as long as you are going to shell out $ for nice wheels, you might as well get summer tires and keep your stock wheels/tires for winter. Summer tires on 17s will be much better and the stock wheel/tire size is much better for snow. If you still have money, winter/snow tires would be nice to replace the stock tires.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
scoolbuzz said:
Stock. Your money should be spent on real mods. You have other blaze yellow WRXs to compete with. :D
Worst advice ev4r.

Seriously though, if you are not going with a really sticky tire then you don't need to worry too much about getting max width, because you are compromising grip anyway. So I would go with the downshifts with a good a/s if that's what you want. Ultimately I agree with Roger though. Keep the stockers and use them in the winter. Save the good wheels and tires for summer (get Kumho MXs 225 45 17). Get 18s if you want the bling. Get 17s if you aren't worried about the bling yet want Rota.

-Ryan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you guys like the downshifts for the most part. I AM leaning towards those in 17" with 235's. I like the look of wide tires with nice wheels but not getting 18" where they get all banged up and are heavy. I'm gonna go look at the Continentals again. I forget how much they are. The Falken ZE-512 are AS and are only $120.00 per tire. Then again the Pirelli aren't much more. The stock tires SUCK as you all know so if in the major snowy months whatever I get I can look at some snowies for the stockers.

PS. i vish i wsa teh druoink. LOL

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
If you're getting an all season, you realllly don't want 235. Its too wide for good snow performance. I would reccomend the stock wheels and tires for the winter over a super wide, "performance tread" all season tire.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
scoolbuzz said:
Stock. Your money should be spent on real mods. You have other blaze yellow WRXs to compete with. :D
I see nothing wrong with having "the fastest and best looking blaze yellow WRX in Colorado". :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is what Zoeb at Subydude priced out for me on the Downshifts and tires. I'm going to get more details on the tires they have but you guys might be able to shed some light on the choices and if this sound like a good deal. I kinda think so.

Wheel and Tire Package

Hi Alan,

I'd stick with the 225's on a 7.5" wide wheel...plus it will avoid any rubbing issues you might have when you upgrade your springs.

Here are some prices for you.

17":

FALKEN AZENIS 225/45R17 $ 1,133.00
FALKEN ST-115 225/45R17 $ 1,071.20
FALKEN ZE-512 225/45R17 $ 1,030.00
KUMHO 711 225/45R17 $ 988.80
KUMHO 712 225/45R17 $ 1,071.20
KUMHO MX 225/45R17 $ 1,194.80
TOYO PROXES4 225/45R17 $ 1,071.20
TOYO T1S 225/45R17 $ 1,256.60

We can throw in some standard spline drive lugnuts if you order within the next week, just be sure to mention it when placing your order.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts