Votes: 8 53.3%
  • AVO turbochargers include the 320HP, 400HP, 450HP

Votes: 1 6.7%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
God said:
Yeah where are the PE1818 and 1820? FP18G and 20G. FP Green. GT30R, GT35R, and lastly my Spec S turbo but that isn't out yet. ;)
You can just classify all those tiny VF turbos under the small category right now.
Some people like transmissions.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Solid Snake, what you have to realize is that god prefers the bigger, laggier turbos. Some vendors ie. PlatinumWRX prefer the IHI's because they tend to be more streetable and tranny power friendly (However, God drove his 1820 powered wagon for a year I believe) but how many of us will only have the car for a year? Most people that have the IHI's are extremely happy with them, as am I.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Solid_Snake1234 said:
i am going to be getting a rex in about 4-6 months and after i break the engine in, I wanted to know which turbos you have used and your experience with them.
Here is a great website http://www.ppmotorsports.com/subaru_turbo.html to tell you about each turbo 22 is biggest 35 is smallest....have fun, and he also has good prices :cool:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
ryland said:
Some people like transmissions.
DrewToTheC said:
exactly what i was thinking:D
you know these threads are funny. it absoloutly amazes me. everyone has to bust dan's balls on just about anything he says. if you all are that concerned with your transmissions, then stick with the vf series or whatever turbo you use. some of us actually want to make that kind of power and welcome dan's comments.

if you abuse your tranny, it's going to break, that's the bottom line.

and frankly, if I was making a turbo poll I wouldn't include any of the vf series turbo's. that's me, and if you notice i'm not on here saying how those suck when I prefer the 1818, 1820, 20g, gt30r type turbo's.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Snowvert said:
you know these threads are funny. it absoloutly amazes me. everyone has to bust dan's balls on just about anything he says. if you all are that concerned with your transmissions, then stick with the vf series or whatever turbo you use. some of us actually want to make that kind of power and welcome dan's comments.

if you abuse your tranny, it's going to break, that's the bottom line.

and frankly, if I was making a turbo poll I wouldn't include any of the vf series turbo's. that's me, and if you notice i'm not on here saying how those suck when I prefer the 1818, 1820, 20g, gt30r type turbo's.
2 very different schools of though so to speak. lag vs power.

However, to say that more power doesnt put more stress on the tranny is rediculous.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
ebr0t said:
2 very different schools of though so to speak. lag vs power.

However, to say that more power doesnt put more stress on the tranny is rediculous.
i'm not saying it won't. what i'm saying is if you abuse your tranny then it's not going to last whether or not you have a vf34 or an 1820.

the turbo is irrelivant (sp?) if you launch it at 5k everywhere you go because it's just going to break.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
AHHHH NOT ANOTHER TURBO DEBATE!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Call a reputable vendor/tuner and ask them what THEY can do for you in terms of performance and tuning, and then ask them their prices. People like Dan push the top end turbos and have had huge success tuning them, but they come with a huge pricetag and are more laggy. If you call Jim Nelson with PPMotorsports, he'll give you a great price on an IHI turbo that doesn't have the same top end power, but will spool significantly faster. Those are the two prime examples that come to mind, but if you find someone else "in the know" I'd recommend asking them. The reason these "which turbo is best" threads don't work is because everyone and their grandma's neighbor's retarded step son has a different opinion and will fight to the death over it.

You need to clearly explain what you want to do, what your goals are, and what your budget is before asking this question, because without those crucial pieces of info, most people on this forum will just begin bickering.

~Tim

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
AHHHH NOT ANOTHER TURBO DEBATE!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Call a reputable vendor/tuner and ask them what THEY can do for you in terms of performance and tuning, and then ask them their prices. People like Dan push the top end turbos and have had huge success tuning them, but they come with a huge pricetag and are more laggy. If you call Jim Nelson with PPMotorsports, he'll give you a great price on an IHI turbo that doesn't have the same top end power, but will spool significantly faster. Those are the two prime examples that come to mind, but if you find someone else "in the know" I'd recommend asking them. The reason these "which turbo is best" threads don't work is because everyone and their grandma's neighbor's retarded step son has a different opinion and will fight to the death over it.

You need to clearly explain what you want to do, what your goals are, and what your budget is before asking this question, because without those crucial pieces of info, most people on this forum will just begin bickering.

~Tim

whew AMEN.

·
Registered
136 Posts
They are all going to have a relatively narrow efficient operating range. The very expensive, and more modern ones have a slightly broader range, but it's a matter of degrees, really. So you pick one that makes power where you want it (with the given being a 2 liter motor). If you read the boost maps carefully, there is no "free lunch". You can have it down low (response, low-end torque) or up high (big horsepower) or some sort of compromise. The operative word being compromise.
Dan likes big turbos, and the guys that like quick response are always swinging on his n*tsack because of that, but it's all really a matter of preference.
-Ray

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
dark_rex said:
Get this thread back on topic. pick the turbo, then comment.

no one asked for a criticical review of this poll.

dR

also if you know what turbo you want information on, search it. IHIs bc their popularity have been discussed at great legnths.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts