Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Turbobacks with cats pass emissions? Right now, my friend is looking for a turboback that can pass emissions and which can be had with more gains in power. The ones he is looking at are the Cobb Turboback, TXS Turboback, and the Vishnu Turbo-Back SS. All these come with the option of having cats. Is the power really that discernible with or without cats? Should he just bite the bullet and go catless on the turboback and keep the stock exhaust in storage when it is time for emissions testing pull it out and install it. Also how hard is it for a total n00b to install a turboback? He has the AccessECU on order.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No turboback is emissions legal...removing or altering any catalytic convertors is illegal...however, we all do it anyways. It makes a big difference, the cats really choke up the WRX a lot. Between those, I'd get the TurboXS. DEFINITELY keep the old exhaust for emissions testing. The turboback is very simple to install. First, remove the catback, then the intercooler, then the turbo heatshield, then just remove the downpipe and midpipe, making sure to remove the O2 sensor...if you search around there are some really good directions on how to do it, with pictures and everything. Don't fear the installation though, I did it by myself in about 8 hours, and that was my first time ever working on the WRX.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i may be wrong but most exhaust sytems that come with cats will still pass emissions. you still have the cat you are just using a high flow cat instead of the stocker. the only problem is that sometimes you may have other mods that may cause you to fail...

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
JF1GD2 said:
A NASIOC member, in Sacramento, California (home of the most hostile smog laws), passed with the stealthback system.

Being that there's 3 cats on a WRX, the up pipe one is extraneous after the engine is warmed up so that leaves 2. A stealthback chops it in half with only 1 working cat. With good gas, and a clean system, it should be a walk in the park...

That is either BS or he knows the guy. I live in cali and have my enhanced area smog traing and there IS NO WAY he could have passed visual. You are not allowed to remove 3 cats and just throw one in there. ANY modification to the factory emmission system is illegal in california.

·
Registered
0 Posts
JF1GD2 said:
yeah, but as a tech, how the hell can you tell that it was modified?

the stealth has a cat on it and all the O2's are plugged in so...
It's not hard to tell that the Stealthback, even with cat is not OEM equipment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i still feel that if you still putting in the cats you will be fine. especially if this is the only mod. also, you do not have to have a "factory" cat on the car to be legal. if you have a bad cat, the smog station will just go to the closet and grab a cat and weld it onto your car. i dought they carry all the dealer parts for all the cars they service. but i will say that smog here in cali is rediculous. you can just about have your car impounded and auctioned for breaking smog laws.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It depends on your state. In Illinois any post 1996 cars are tested via OBDII. The only way you fail these is if you have a CEL which is from a code. P0420 in our case. Get yourself on a cobb accessport, and youll pass emissions with NO CATS, provided your car doesnt reek like a rusty pickup. Most tech's workin the OBDII computer wont even bother getting on their knees for a visual. The car looks new, smells ok, and throws no codes.. your golden....

Im sure this will make a few east coast suby owners pissed at me

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
JF1GD2 said:
have your car impounded for taking cats off? damn...
you will get a much more serious result if you are found to have tampered with the cat's. it is techincally a federal offense, good for $50,000 for the user and $75,000 for the place found installing it, if that can be proven or if it applies to you.

if an e-check place attempted to 'weld' cats on my car at least - they wouldn't have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
ya, there is. there are certain circumstances in which a place is allowed to replace one. i'm speaking of a shop removing a cat alltogether for the purpose of more power.

replacing a cat, with continuing use is fine. removing is not.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I passed Utah emissions easily running a TXS stealthback with the hi-flow cat and a stock uppipe (which people claim does nothing for emissions beyond cold start... if thats true, idk). Utah doesn't test under load, they just do idle and then rev the engine in place. Also, there is no visual inspection, all they care about is that the car isn't polluting... here are my results:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30273

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Snowvert said:
1 cat = slim chance in hell you are passing.
Why? I have a catless turboback, and used my friends TXS cat pipe to pass my emissions test. The guy told me it was so clean I probably could have made it w/o any cats.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Timdogs car just passed ny inspection with no cats. The secret is tuning! If no one does a visual you can get past the emission test. Tims car is proof of it in NY.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts