ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2k4 WRX, it's pulling 260 WHP on a dyno with the stock turbo (at 16 psi), my question for you guys is: To gain more horsepower, which turbo can I install without making any engine changes? (internals). It seems that the most popular turbo upgrade is having a IHI VF34 under the hood (best bang for the money perhaps?), but I would like another opinion...

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
If money permits a 16g along with injectors, fuel pump, and tune would be a good combo IMHO for a good street turbo.

·
Registered
491 Posts
any of the VF series turbos will up your hp, and not put too much strain on the internals. 16g is said to be the "perfect match" for a daily driven 2.0l wrx, but some people go with 18g's and 20g's for more power, but at the cost of significantly added lag. On a good tune, any of those should be safe on your engine.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
18g=+40whp
16g/vf34=+20whp

260whp is alot, mods?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I have 240whp, with 14.8psi on 93 pump. But 260whp is a ton.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
18g=+40whp
16g/vf34=+20whp

260whp is alot, mods?
Yep, sorry about that...
- K&N Typhoon short ram intake
- Injen Phantom front-mounted intercooler
- HKS Hi Power exhaust
- TurboXS boost controller
- TurboXS BOV
- Walbro fuel pump
- ECU re-flash
- NGK Iridium spark plugs
- Greddy oil catch can

As you see, all mods are pheriferical... :cool:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
get an up-pipe. Honestly if your car has 260whp with just those mods get a more agressive tune and put a few more mods and you will have the same whp as a vf34/vf22.

·
Registered
373 Posts
up pipe and headers add a ton.. just make sure you coat them in some VHT or something so they dont crack. and if you get a equal length headers of some sort you can still keep the boxer sound., + a tune

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
up pipe and headers add a ton.. just make sure you coat them in some VHT or something so they dont crack. and if you get a equal length headers of some sort you can still keep the boxer sound., + a tune
Ok, got it, cool! Thanks...

·
Registered
905 Posts
turbo size? GT30R. that should take care of any/all turbo needs, ever.

oh, and supporting mods to go with it. have fun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
LuisWRX - Thats very impressive power... Does anyone know how much the WRX's benefit from a FMIC with the stock TD04? I know heat soak is an issue with our stock TMIC...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
LuisWRX - Thats very impressive power... Does anyone know how much the WRX's benefit from a FMIC with the stock TD04? I know heat soak is an issue with our stock TMIC...
To be honest, I had a heat issue with the FMIC (using another intake): After 10 min of driving the power was going down every time I took the car for a ride. The guys from Machines Gone Wild (thanks Gregory) told me that it would be better to change the intake cause the mix was too lean, causing the additional heat, affecting the performance. These figures are the result of all the changes made by them, I don't feel the losing of power anymore.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey do you have a goal hp? or tq? that would be easier, i know of some great pump gas turbos.
The goal would be to surpass the 300 mark, 320 would be kool... Is it do-able? Or I'm just dreami'n?

·
Registered
373 Posts
i think your off to a very good start. injectors, headers, up pipe, turbo (what kind of gass will you be using?) and you'll be kicking some ass.. your probly gonna want a new radiator too. to play it safe. the turbo is the part.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts