ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I Have an 04 wrx w/ 5spd tranny and I want to upgrade my turbo, I am wondering which turbo would be best for my application. I have my mind on the FP18G, PE1818, and the PE1820. I am lookin for 300-350whp. My car will mainly be a daly driver but I want to make it a street/track car also, keeping in mind it will be on the stock 2.0l engine and internals but i will upgrade my block etc. if necessary.I will also be running a FMIC such as the perrin or 1 of the aps ICs but i dont know which one would be best for my application.I will also be using either the Link ecu or UTEC.If you could please help me choose the best turbo for my application I will greatly appreciate it.
,Thanks Alot
Matt

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
if you're looking for 300-350whp, i think either the 1820 or the 18G would be your best bet. more likely the 18G, of course some say it has to be driven on race gas to get the high amts of boost required to get those high #s. Mili was running the APS SR40 and had 326 whp on pump gas with the APS FMIC, just so you don't rule those out.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
RexMobbin' said:
Mili was running the APS SR40 and had 326 whp on pump gas with the APS FMIC, just so you don't rule those out.
Wow, didn't know he was putting down that much power!:eek3:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to be running on 93 pump gas... will 18G still give me ova 300 whp?...Id also like to know how well my engine and internals will hold up cuz ill prob have my car for awhile...i dont want it diein on me at 50k

·
Registered
606 Posts
The SR40 is a great turbine, however if you go with a different one I would still suggest you stick with the APS FMIC. I personally believe they are the best FMIC on the market for the WRX.

·
Registered
253 Posts
the dr500 is not made anymore. and although i have a dr650 i would not suggest you buying it unless you want to shell out 1600 bucks. its a bit overkill. i have an 1820 and its a great turbo. it will make the 300 hp depending on your dyno and the day. the 18g, hes right, youll need to run a shade higher boost and race gas to get the most out of it. it still does well either way, but i heard it has cooling problems. im not sure whether its oil or water cooled. the 1820 is both.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
POLAR said:
the dr500 is not made anymore. and although i have a dr650 i would not suggest you buying it unless you want to shell out 1600 bucks. its a bit overkill. i have an 1820 and its a great turbo. it will make the 300 hp depending on your dyno and the day. the 18g, hes right, youll need to run a shade higher boost and race gas to get the most out of it. it still does well either way, but i heard it has cooling problems. im not sure whether its oil or water cooled. the 1820 is both.
overkill? personal opinion. I would not use any other fmic except aps, so I would say it's on target as you're right, the dr500 is no longer made at this point.

while I like the results of the 18g, and just about any turbo in it's class (1818, 1820, etc), race gas would be needed or a higher compression to get more out of it for everyday driving. pump gas just as it's limits. anything bigger then a 18g doesn't seem very streetable on stock compression and/or the 2.0l, to me.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Snowvert said:
overkill? personal opinion. I would not use any other fmic except aps, so I would say it's on target as you're right, the dr500 is no longer made at this point.

while I like the results of the 18g, and just about any turbo in it's class (1818, 1820, etc), race gas would be needed or a higher compression to get more out of it for everyday driving. pump gas just as it's limits. anything bigger then a 18g doesn't seem very streetable on stock compression and/or the 2.0l, to me.
Agreed. The APS FMIC's are not overkill. They are made muuch nicer than any other FMIC on the market for the Rex....period. If any of you guys need one PM me.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Having driven very similar cars with the 1820 and the 18g, I like the 1820 better. However, it's more expensive than the 18g by a decent amount and I don't think the difference in performance is worth the difference in price. Go with the 18g. It's a great turbo for your current goals and it can grow a bit with you too if you decide you want a little more. If you want to run more boost, which the 18g will gladly do, you can look into water injection! It's a great option if you want to run higher boost sometimes without having to worry about race gas...

The SR40 is more expensive than the other two and has been a let down for a lot of people. Jon did run it with some good results as RexMobbin pointed out, but that doesn't seem to be the case for the most part...

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
13secwrx said:
What did you like better about the 1820 vs the g?
At lower boost the 1820 responds better. As you know, the 18g loves boost, the more the merrier. But for most people runnign over 20psi isn't what they're looking to do, and with that boost the 1820 is a better option.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
MidKnight said:
At lower boost the 1820 responds better. As you know, the 18g loves boost, the more the merrier. But for most people runnign over 20psi isn't what they're looking to do, and with that boost the 1820 is a better option.
I agree with this too. 18g, 1818 or the 1820 all respond well, but I think the 18g is more suited for higher octane then everyday pump. not saying it's a bad turbo by any means, it just tends to shine with more boost.

eljovencubano: yup... at least you didn't try a snatch and run with her
Fuvi513: took will power

wtf rofl!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'd agree w/that. It loves boost, but would you say that both turbos operating at 21 psi wouldnt they be almost identical?

I know my turbo doesnt like less then 20 psi but over...Im not quite sure at what pt it loses efficiency...whats the 1820 max out at psi wise ?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts