Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which tires is good for the bucks? i'm buying 18" rota subzeros for my wagon and wanting to know if 215/45/18 will run on the rear protion of the fender well..thanks for any info posted :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Spend the money. S-03s.

Think about it. The only thing connecting your car to the earth are 4 small patches of rubber. Do you really want to skimp here?

Considering all of the other things we don't hesitate to spend lots of $$$ on, tires should be at the top of the list.

Buy the Bridgestone Potenza S-03s. You will thank yourself.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Peace,

Curtis

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yokohama Parada Spec II

That's my tire of choice. Great for the corners and still sticky in the Seattle rain. Not to mention a pretty tread pattern! IMHO, it's a grip driver's tire, if you are looking to let the back-end loose, I'd go with something else....whatever the choice, best of luck and please report! Oh yeah, TireRack.com has all kinds of reviews and side by side comparisons on most of the brands and sizes...

B

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
What are you looking for? Dry traction, wet traction, snow traction, low noise, tread life, the list goes on and on...

I just got Yokohama AVS Intermediates on special form the Tire Rack. I posted a review.

My dream tire is the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 PP. I will have these tires on my 17" wheels!

-Jim

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
gqzboy said:
which tires is good for the bucks? i'm buying 18" rota subzeros for my wagon and wanting to know if 215/45/18 will run on the rear protion of the fender well..thanks for any info posted :)
i second the kumhos.....good tires for the money. sticky on dry and good on wet as well.

you should rethink your tire size though. this is what rexwagon had to say in a different thread (that was on the same topic BTW....read before you post next time.)

225/45/18 sounds too big. Usually when you "plus-size" you want to select a tire with a lower aspect ratio so that the actual diameter is the same as stock. If you go bigger, you risk inaccurate guages, reduced performance, trashed steering geometry, trashed alignment, and rubbing.

In our case, the stock diameter for the 205/55/16 is:

(205mm * 0.55sw * 2) / 25.4mm/in + 16in = 24.878in

My diameter (225/45/17) is:

(225mm * 0.45sw * 2) / 25.4mm/in + 17in = 24.972in

But YOUR diameter (225/45/18) would be:

(225mm * 0.45sw * 2) / 25.4mm/in + 18in = 25.972in

Which is an entire inch too big. You might consider (225/40/18):

(225mm * 0.40sw * 2) / 25.4mm/in + 18in = 25.087in

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.