Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright on one hand I've got an 09 WRX with 152k miles, cobb accessport with a stage 2 tune, tein coilovers and some other mods priced at 10k. And on the other I've got an 04 with STI BBS wheels and tein coilovers and 124k miles. Which would be the better option? Both have clean titles, the 09 AC pulley is going out. My mechanic friend is saying i should stick with the 04 but I personally love the body of the 09 plus they're much more powerful. Any help would be awesome

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Neither. Save up and get something with way less miles. You'll be glad you did

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the ad for the '04 this is what he said "It has been well maintained and is very close to stock. It will pass emissions and is ready to be driven. The only mods include a Cobb intake, tein coilovers with only 2k miles, and sti bbs wheels with pretty new tires!"
In the ad for the '09 he siad "This car is riding on Rota wheels, Goodyear tires, and TEIN coilovers. The engine has Cobb access port with a Stage 2 tune,Grimspeed intercooler and piping, Perrin inlet, and aftermarket exhaust. "

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Hopefully less than 100k. The ej can go for a long time, more times than not 100k is getting to the limit due to the nature of the driver and tendency to be maintained in the cheapest possible way. The tein coils on both lend me to believe that as they are super cheap and perform poorly.

You'll likely want to have anything your interested in compression tested, and the tune verified for the modifications on the vehicle. They are super sensitive to modifications, and everything will require ECU remapping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah we were definitely planning on getting the compression tested. How much would a head gasket rebuild cost? Because I strongly prefer the body of the 09 so what if I got the 09, and saved for a head gasket rebuild for awhile, the body is still in great condition.

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Your welcome. Its nice to help people find something that will make them enjoy the car. There are way too many whiners that buy the cheapest turd they can get that's blown up and then complain about the car.

Don't want to see that happen to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that the WRX struggles late with the head gasket, so say after a head gasket rebuild if regular maintenance is kept up with, how many miles do you think I could get from my car?

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
I would be far less concerned with the head gasket and more concerned with the bearings and pistons.

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Good luck. Look at the exhaust. If it has a turbo back ask about the tune. If it's just a Cobb AP ensure that there are no other modifications on the car, if there are make sure that the tune they are using supports it.

Cobb only supports limited products, and mainly their own brand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts