ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of three panel filters for the WRX, K&N, ITG, and Blitz. I was just wondering what people think about these three and maybe if they have any numbers to back them up, or personal experiences.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
ITG is supposed to have the lowest pressure drop, but I'd be willing to be that the K&N filters a little bit better. Cost should be only a small consideration, since aftermarket air cleaners are the "wash and reuse" type.

I run a K&N, but that's because I always have. I've always been EXTREMELY pleased with the ruggedness and performance on my K&N filters. They really should last about a million miles!

I wasn't aware that Blitz made a panel filter for the WRX. Links?

-Jim

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The only "numbers" I'm aware of is a post on i-club by Shiv of Vishnu Performance, who reported that while dyno testing, he observed that his WRX LOST a few HP with the K&N filter installed as opposed to stock for reasons unknown.

That being said, I still have a K&N in my car only because I installed one long before Shiv posted and I no longer have the stock one.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
KanosWRX said:
Yeah price is not a big deal, they are all around 50 or less anyways. The Blitz is on vivids site,
http://www.vividracing.com/prod_intake.php

Thanks for the info.

One more thing, do you notice a intake/spool-up noise increase with the K&N?
There is an EVER SO SLIGHT increase in turbo noise when you install an aftermarket filter. This increase is dwarfed by the change if and when you remove the resonator.

Thanks for the link.

-Jim

bedabi,

I wonder if Shiv reset the ECU with the K&N install.....
I don't care. I love mine. Something about not having to worry about your air filter for 50,000miles is VERY appealing to me.

-Jim

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
ITG filters, supposedly, their maintenance is only wiping off the crap stuck to their filters (according to their instructions).

Their oil is pretty costly though. ($25 at www.parts4vws.com)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Here's the original post by Shiv on i-club:
http://i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112716

Here's an extract:

shiv said:
The only results I have in front of me are those of the stock car, stock car plus up-pipe, and the full Stage Zero. For the rest, I'll have to go off of memory for now. The up-pipe alone, as shown with the dyno chart, was worth about 9 wheel hp. My pulley, IIRC, was worth an additional 7-9 wheel hp. This brought total output to roughly 200 wheel hp at stock boost levels. The addition of the MBC, which regulated boost to 15psi peak (dropping down to 12psi by 6000rpm) barely increased peak hp. However, it did maintain power higher into the rev range. The tuning of the unichip was worth the extra 15-17 wheel hp. The K&N drop-in filter actually reduced power by 1-2 wheel hp. The resonator mod really didn't do anything measurable except make lots of noise...

Cheer,
shiv

1 - 9 of 9 Posts