Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...do you use on your rex? I wanna start doing the oil change myself, and wanted to get an idea as to which brand of oil filter to use.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Well so far I've use 3 different filters.

1. Honda HAMP (http://www.inlinefour.com/twincamtech/honhamoilfil.html) I had from my old Honda days. It was the same diameter as the blue OE filter (Tennex) Subaru installed at the factory, but the HAMP was about 3/4" taller. The only problem is that the top plate of Honda filters are concave, where as Subaru filters are flat. You can only get about 3-4 turns before it is seated.

2. Bosch Premium #3310. Good filters, but smaller in both diameter and height than the OE filter. Probably less filter element surface area than the OE filter.

3. Purolator Pure One (current). Same size as OE filter and probably the best sub-$10 filter on the market. However, I have read the pressure drop across the filter is greater than other filters. Better filtration = less flow.

The white OE replacement filters you get from the dealership are just Purolator PremiumPLUS filters.

Now if you got the $$$ and want the absolute best filter money can buy, pick up one of these http://www.cmfilters.com/spin-on.cfm

·
Registered
563 Posts
Purolator Pure One for me. I've also heard you can use the filter from the Legacy H6, which is the same diameter, but taller. That should help with the pressure drop because there is more filter area.

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hot_Dog said:
Purolator Pure One for me. I've also heard you can use the filter from the Legacy H6, which is the same diameter, but taller. That should help with the pressure drop because there is more filter area.
Yeah, I started a thread about the H4 - H6 filter differences. However, I haven't had the time to cut them appart and look for differences in the filter element. I'll get it done soon.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25507&highlight=h6

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
mobil 1, but it's $11.88 .. from what I hear it's the same as the purelator.. the stock one is supposedly about as good.. you can get it for like 6 bucks or something on subaruparts.com

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
You shoul use the factoy one. It has an antidrainback valve(so oil doesn't leak out of thefilter when vehicle is sitting{wait- the filter is upside-down so it cant leakout} hmmm......Subie techs?

·
Registered
93 Posts
BoostedBoxer said:
You shoul use the factoy one. It has an antidrainback valve(so oil doesn't leak out of thefilter when vehicle is sitting{wait- the filter is upside-down so it cant leakout} hmmm......Subie techs?
What are you talking about sir? :confused:

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
the anti drain back valve prevents oil from leaving the oil filter when the engine is off to prevent dry (un-lubricated) start ups.

·
Registered
213 Posts
puralator (sp?) pure one here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have been using the Bosch Premium. I remember reading a good review online somewhere in which the guy got a bunch of different filters for the same application and cut all of them up. I will have to try and find that again...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts