ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just had a quick question! Im going to buy an sr*s cat-back and a helix catted dp what do u guys think about those brands? so i only have enough money for one of them at the moment which do u guys think i should get first? i would get the other one a month or 2 later.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
get the dp and flash to stage 2

The CBE is a noisemaker

·
Banned
69 Posts
idk i did cbe first. i love the performance and sound. im assuming you get way more performance from the dp though. Dont you need dp and cbe to flash stage 2 michah?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys i can get that whole setup for about 600 i know its a bargain tbe but i was under the impression that a catted dp is a catted dp so i dont need to spend alot of money on it but what do u guys think?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The DP needs to have a bellmouth design or it's not worth the metal it's made of. If it has a bellmouth, the performance isn't going to differ a lot between the different brands, maybe just a few HP. The build quality can be noticeably different, but as long as it doesn't leak I don't see how that matters much since the last time you'll probably see it is when you install it.

There's a lot of debate on whether having the diverter in the DP really matters or not and nobody knows definitively either way.

In general though, remember that you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
idk i did cbe first. i love the performance and sound. im assuming you get way more performance from the dp though. Dont you need dp and cbe to flash stage 2 michah?
Members have reported similar gains with just the dp and a stage 2 reflash.

I agree with the poster above who said to just make sure it's a bell mouth dp. Obviously make sure the welds and material are solid. You do get what you pay for. However, when you buy used, you can get what someone else paid for.

Case in point - my TBE consists of a Bosal Divorced DP, Gutted 3rd cat, Cobb 3" CBE. I paid $150 used from a friend.

An exhaust is definitely a great item to pick up used, as the only time you will see it is when you install it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha i love that mindset.. when you get used you get what someone else paid for haha! yea i was lookin on here and there aren't too many catted dp's at all let alone whole tbe's for sale. know of any good deals up here lately? are the brands i pickd out ok? i haven't heard too much about helix but sr*s has the whole thread about em and its basically all good stuff!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh and my first question "which should i put on first" im gettin both in a relatively short period of time i was just wondering which would mate up to stock parts better like no leaks or any of that

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
DP 1st.

If your getting a catback soon, pick a catback that matches your DP and vis-versa. You will get a 3" flat flange (for full 3" exhaust) on both or get a tapered DP that fits the stock type donut gasket. If you get a 3" flange on your DP (IIRC for the Helix) you can use an extra large donut to connect it to the stock catback for now, and just be sure to get a catback with a 3" flange (not one designed to mate to the stock DP). I got the donut from MadDad.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
With the DP, you'll need EM - you need to take that into consideration as well.

If you only have the money for one or the other (and plan on getting both), I'd say get the CBE until you can buy both DP/EM ;)

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
The Helix sounds like it is good. It was the cheapest available when I looked. I was going to get one too before I got a special deal on something else.

You should search "Boost Creep" too since you have a 2.5l. The cat should help with that. Some divorced wastegate DPs advertise that they additionally limit creep (IDK though).

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the boost creep thread says otherwise but thats all im going off of. do you know of any special deals on here right now? i've looked high and low for one and couldn't seem to find any

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
That's good to know, I don't have the issue so I haven't looked into it much.

I don't have a line on anything, sorry. Basically I got a deal because of a supplier's screw up that was discovered after I ordered one.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no problem at all! thats cool as long as everything was fixed for free right? lol so i think im just gonna go ahead and get that helix catted dp it seems the be the best deal i can find! then the catback later.. do i NEED anything else to mate it up to stock catback? i dont want to spend much money if any though because its only gonna be on the stock catback for like a month or 2

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Basically the stock donut (its a stupidly thick gasket basically that allows stuff to move around) will fall into your new downpipe if the Helix is 3" (I think so). A 3" donut will work though. For the DP see if you get a new gasket for the turbo end, otherwise get a good gasket (OEM are good quality in general).

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
No, actually the stock gaskets are really pretty good. I don't remember for sure if it fits a belmouth, but I can check. Its not the most important spot compared to the uppipe ones (luckily you don't care about those), but still worth it to replace.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts