• Total voters
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Æternum
20,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Took her out for a 2 hour ride today.

Update from the last video posted:
I was having a lot of problems with the bike maintaining proper AFRs. It would idle and cruise fine, then bog down with the throttle plates fully open. It was even slower than it should be... and this is a slow bike at full tilt. Pulled the carbs open and found that the jet needle was in the richest setting, so I reset the needle to the base setting according to Clymer and Bing manuals. It stopped bogging down at WOT, but was searching HARD coming right off idle. I had to give the bike the full beans with the faintest hope of not stalling. That wouldn't do!

Folded and bought completely new jet hardware directly from Bing USA. When I got the "correct" jet needle hardware they were completely different profile from the jet needles that were in the bike. I have no clue what the hell was in the bike, but maybe the bike was built for altitude many many years ago and never changed out when it was brought to sea level. Bike runs great now!

·
Æternum
20,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Match your STi!

If not, forest green and cafe racer build!

·
Æternum
20,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Match your STi!

If not, forest green and cafe racer build!
While I undoubtedly love the look of a Cafe build, it's not my riding style.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
While I undoubtedly love the look of a Cafe build, it's not my riding style.
I can totally picture you with the leather helmet and the goggles zach haha

·
Æternum
20,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I can totally picture you with the leather helmet and the goggles zach haha
Besides the ridiculousness of a leather helmet, that combination would look awesome should I be riding one of these:

Hand shift would be compulsory.

I think he is an assless chaps type of guy
I've 10 pairs. Want me to model a pair for you?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,073 Posts
@SD_GR: you may wish to take a closer look at the last picture I posted :)
Jealous! Bike looks really pretty in that orange. Everything I said stands after all this time IMO. Enjoy.

·
Æternum
20,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Evidently I've decided that this thread is suitable as a build thread. Oh well!

I've put about 600 miles on the bike whenever possible. It's absolutely fantastic for long-stretches. My perfectionism with tuning the carbs and cables has paid off nicely. For a twin, the engine is glass-smooth between 3000 and 4200 RPM... that's cruise anywhere between 15mph and 65mph. Feels almost like an I4 without the weight and complexity. It's short on power, but has plenty of torque and efficiently transfers that twist into acceleration with the cardan shaft. It may "only" have 50hp, but it feels like a 60-70hp bike for nearly all of riding except that absolute top end.

·
29,073 Posts
It's a lovely bike and I love the hue the paint has now. Have fun!

·
29,073 Posts
Look how accessible the carbs are too!

·
Æternum
20,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Look how accessible the carbs are too!
It is a wonderful machine on which to learn carburetors.

I can pull a carb off, service it, replace orings, and put it back on the bike in less than 3 minutes. This is a bike that is known for being "highway serviceable" due to the relative simplicity and the ease in which everything can be removed. I've read stories of people replacing head gaskets on the side of the road!

With the cylinders sticking far out into the wind and the low 8.2:1 compression, this bike can run on any gasoline octane. I think this could be the best possible "doomsday vehicle" out there. Frugal on fuel, easy to repair, and can virtually run on vasoline.

·
Æternum
20,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It's hard to tell from the photos, but the windscreen is in pretty rough condition. It's cracked on the mounts and (although I tried reconditioning and baking), it's hardly clear. The other annoying aspect is that if I sit flat on the seat, the wind hits me right below the top of my visor.

So I decided to do something about it and ordered me up one of these:

https://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshield/bmw/r80rt-1981-1995/

19" is 2" taller than what's on there right now, recurve to help with air pocket, and vent for summer riding!

·
Admiral Ackbar the 1st
15,697 Posts
Awesome

21 - 36 of 36 Posts