ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should i considered buying a high flow cat DP instead of removing it..if i do, is the power loss that great? Im not worried about emmisions but are people really strict saying its now a off road vehicle? The 3 cats on the rex, which should i worry about for power gains and others to just keep to make the car not off road..is it really a big deal?

·
"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout"
4,124 Posts
you don't want the cat on the uppipe for sure.

From what I hear, the difference between catless and high flow cats is negligible.

If you're not at all worried about emissions, you might as well go catless. It'll be cheaper that way.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I have one TurboXS high-flow cat in my exhaust system. The performance differences are not noticed. The things you will notice with the catless are the louder exhaust note and the catless exhaust smell.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much louder is it..? I said im not worried about the emmisions because i didnt think it would be overwhelming..my cabin wont like fill with smoke or anything :p

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I run a high flow cat in the downpipe, and you can't even tell i've tampered with emissions. It is a little louder, but nothing major when running the stock catback.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
04Suubaroo said:
How much louder is it..? I said im not worried about the emmisions because i didnt think it would be overwhelming..my cabin wont like fill with smoke or anything :p
You get more of a deeper rumble from the exhaust.

You wont pass inspection catless in NY.... but it all depends on who you know ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So in a nutshell its about the sound and if ill pass an inspection or not..

·
Registered
28 Posts
When my car was tuned for stage 3 another suby stage 3 was tuned right after me. We both had topmounts, uppipes, turbo backs, and of course utec. I am without any cats and he had a highflow cat in his downpipe. I dynoed 15hp more to the wheels than him.Both cars were 04,s. Was it the cat? Don,t know but the guy who tunes my car says a cat can make that big of a difference.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Rally cat is always a good way to get, generally you'll need to have it fabricated to fit your exhaust system. But the prioce of a rally cat sits inbetween the price of going catless, and a high flow cat, but at the same time allows you to participate in organized events that require some form of a catalytic converter. A rally cat is basically catless but sitll counts as one. :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
From what I've read and heard, on a stock turbo, you may lose 5 hp from keeping a stock 3rd cat. That's what I've done. Like EMAN may have seen, when you get a bigger turbo pushing more air, then the restriction hurts more. So I guess it depends on what you do.

Not a big deal either way. I just found out about Daddy's new catted DP where the wastegate comes in after the cat, so when you are WOT, the gasses flow very freely.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iv decided to just get rid of all the cats. and go with a turbo back..would i still need a uppipe or would a full exhaust (suchs as the HKS Hi-power or the Blitz nur-spec) take care of that?

·
Registered
520 Posts
04Suubaroo said:
Iv decided to just get rid of all the cats. and go with a turbo back..would i still need a uppipe or would a full exhaust (suchs as the HKS Hi-power or the Blitz nur-spec) take care of that?
Check this page here for alot of good info on this subject: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80872

The HKS Hi-power Blitz nur-spec are both cat-back exhaust to my knowledge, so neither would remove any cats.

Downpipe + Catback = Turboback, and the uppipe is seperate of both.

You should either look for a full Turboback(like a Turbo XS, Invidia or Cobb Tuning packages), or a downpipe (Invidia, Helix, etc...) and a catback (like the HKS or Blitz) together. No matter what you still need an uppipe to be completely catless, some places sell them as a package though. Check out some of the vendors in the vendor forrum on here, www.gruppe-s.com, www.subydude.com, http://store.mauromotorsports.com are all places I've done buiseness with and had good luck with as well. www.cobbtuning.com has alot of really good quality stuff too.

I am completely catless and have been for a few months now. Depending on where in NY you live you shouldnt have a huge problem passing emissions if you have a cool mechanic. You (obviously) fail the visual inspection, but with my Cobb Stage 2.5 map loaded I didnt throw any codes on the machine, so I could (theoretically) say there was a cat in my Bosal uppipe (which it looks like there is, even to a mechanic who knows WRX's) and I dont trip any codes on the machine, 96+ OBDII cars only need to pass a OBD code check upstate. I know inspection is much different in NYC than it is upstate though, and I'm far upstate.If your near the city I'd recomend taking a day-trip for inspections....
As far as the smell, I barely notice it at all. On a hot day with all the windows down every once in a while you can smell it right after you come to a stop (any car I've had in the past that leaked oil smelled worse), if you stand right behind the car while its stopped you can smell it a little, most 60's musclecars I've been around smelled much worse honestly. And I've asked a few friends, that had driven behind me with the windows down, if it smelled bad, and they said only a little when I was cold from a stop, but not much after that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You made a good choice by going catless, it will save you alot of money. Yeah the High-power and blitz exhausts are just catbacks and won't get rid of any cats. You should get rid of the cat in your uppipe ASAP, it ruined my turbo :unhappy:. If you are looking for power you could get a catless down and midpipe without a new catback for now. That's where most of the power comes from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts