Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trolling around on the internet looking for info on the EVO and found an Austrailian website that gave the car's stats. As I read the article all I kept thinking was, "are these guys kidding?" It seems like a direct copy cat version of the WRX. Please tell me that the WRX is the original.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually if i recall, the wrx was created after the Evo's success. not sure where i read this (and i could be wrong).

However whether or not the evo came out b4 or after the wrx. the wrx engineers looked to the porshe's 911 and got the idea off of that car creating a boxer type engine. I even think i read that they had some of their engineers help out on the wrx design.

Darn it!! i need to stop reading TOO many mags about the wrx. i don't know which mag i got it from now :(

--RaCinWRX

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well if you count the 240 Edition or Monte Carlo model Galant VR4's in 1991 or 1992 because they had the exact same engine as the first year Evo as well as the trans and the rear end then the Mitsu came first.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Well as RNN pointed out, the EVO came out in 1992. The Impreza only came in three years later, but prior to that Subaru used the Legacy platform.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hehe... doesn't really matter if the evo or wrx came first. The true starter of this trend of driving an awd in races was the Audi if I can recall correctly.

·
1,377 Posts
JTREX said:
Wasn't the "WRX" name new for '02?
In the USA...yes. The rest of the world... no.

·
Registered
679 Posts
beastcivic said:

In the USA...yes. The rest of the world... no.
the rest of the world used "Impreza Turbo" for a bunch of years until recently. I don't know which yr it was when they switched, but not too long ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts