ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

If you haven't seen some of my other threads, I'm going to be doing a turbo upgrade to my 06wrx.

vf34, ewg, 650cc injectors, tune.

my question is, what kind of boost control should i get? would a manual one do just fine? something like a perrin spring controlled one? or should i get something else.. help me out here again micah, haha you've helped me on every other thread.

thanks!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
happy to help

stock BCS and stock BPV are still on my car - holding 20psi from a vf34 without any issues

But if you're intent on upgrading those - then I'd go with a GM BCS, or the Perrin BCS as I've heard good things on both(both will require a protune AFAIK). Forge BPV or GoFastBits Mach 1 with the "plumbback" if you're looking to upgrade the factory BPV.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stock BCS and stock BPV are still on my car - holding 20psi from a vf34 without any issues

But if you're intent on upgrading those - then I'd go with a GM BCS, or the Perrin BCS as I've heard good things on both(both will require a protune AFAIK). Forge BPV or GoFastBits Mach 1 with the "plumbback" if you're looking to upgrade the factory BPV.
yeah i think i'm gonnna go ahead and go with the perrin ball spring boost control.. and imma be getting protuned either way cuz i'm gonna be getting all the other stuff.. im also gonna install everything at once soo it's gonnna be insane.. i'll make sure to post my numbers, but for now, i gotta get everything i need for install and then i'll work from there. thanks again micah.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Why did you even bother asking for his advice?Have fun with PTFB.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just to make sure that the boost control i had in mind wasn't a bad idea.. i like the input from everyone.. hmm i'm gonna look up what ptfb is on urban dictionary.. lol

·
Is in Love With the Admins Here
2,770 Posts
+1. Newbs FTL.
just to make sure that the boost control i had in mind wasn't a bad idea.. i like the input from everyone.. hmm i'm gonna look up what ptfb is on urban dictionary.. lol
I'll help you out newb. PTFB = Partial Throttle Full Boost. Like Donkey said, have fun with it! :rotfl:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1. Newbs FTL.

I'll help you out newb. PTFB = Partial Throttle Full Boost. Like Donkey said, have fun with it! :rotfl:
i'm not afraid to admit im a newb.. this is why on the forumss so i can learnn.. laugh all you want, i don't mind.. you guys were where i was at one point.. but thx to the people who actually help.. not saying that you didn't help by telling me what ptfb is.. but are you guys telling me i'll be better off without a boost control? im really trying to learn something here.

·
2,770 Posts
are you guys telling me i'll be better off without a boost control? im really trying to learn something here.
Yes, we are.
I understand you're trying to learn. There's a lot of excellent info already on this site. Do some searching & will find these topics that have already been covered. It's one thing to want to get a bunch of go fast parts & slap them on your car. You can't just crank up the boost & expect your car to run right. It's also another thing to know what does what & what you should & shouldn't be putting on your car. Enjoy!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, we are.
I understand you're trying to learn. There's a lot of excellent info already on this site. Do some searching & will find these topics that have already been covered. It's one thing to want to get a bunch of go fast parts & slap them on your car. It's also another thing to know what does what & what you should & shouldn't be putting on your car. Enjoy!
oh i knoww exactly what you meann.. and thanks for the infoo.. i've been doing some research but obviously not enough.. i already have a good idea on alottt of the stuff that i'm doing.. but i guess i got more research to do.. thx guys.

·
2,770 Posts
thx guys.
No problem. It happens all the time where somebody comes here & wants to add all these parts they hear about to make their car faster. That's fine. But they don't take the time to learn about what does what & how certain mods will only hurt their cars. WRXs are not Hondas. I lurked around & read a lot on this site before I even posted or added mods to my car. I wish everyone else did the same. Good luck newb! JK :tongue:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
i'm not afraid to admit im a newb.. this is why on the forumss so i can learnn.. laugh all you want, i don't mind.. you guys were where i was at one point.. but thx to the people who actually help.. not saying that you didn't help by telling me what ptfb is.. but are you guys telling me i'll be better off without a boost control? im really trying to learn something here.
Unless you plan on tuning with a standalone, do not put a manual boost controller on your car. A boost control solenoid/electronic boost controller will be much easier to tune with, and is safer.

Alot of people throw mods on their Subaru's like a lottery winner who just wants to spend money. Don't be one of those people. Research, research, research. Any part you can think of, search for it here. Read all the stickys, they are there for a reason.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
With a custom tune you'll be fine with a MBC, although I would highly recommend against the Perrin MBC, go with the Hallman Pro or PRO RX only. Otherwise go with a GM BCS. The MBC is easier to tune, since you don't have to tune ~8 different tables, but if the ecu go to limp mode you will continue running full boost with 'safe' fuel & timing maps. However its highly unlikely that you'd ever go into limp mode.

The Hallman PRO or PRO RX or the GM BCS are the only one's I recommend for boost control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts