Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my stock clutch is still holding up OK at 10k miles, I'm well aware that with the addition of a VF34 to my current set-up this spring, I'll be taxing it way beyond what it's designed for, and it will probably go in not too long. I go the the strip occasionally so figure about 10-12 full, drag launches per month. I want something that will easily be able to handle the 300whp I'm shooting for while still remaining as stock feeling and streetable as possible. What would you guys reccomend as a relatively low-mid cost option?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
For max holding and easy clutch footing, look for multiplate clutches(would include new flywheel)....I believe Exedy has one for the WRX.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Centerforce dual friction clutch...check it out at vividracing, and call them for more info. It has a 9-puck disc on one side and a flat surface on the other side.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I have an ATS Carbon clutch. It comes with a lightened flywheel and pressure plate assembly and converts the WRX to a push type instead of a pull type clutch. The clutch can handle massive amounts of torque, but it has an unsprung center section which makes launching from a stop a brutal affair. I haven't had much seat time since the clutch was installed because my car has a bad O2 sensor. I'll be posting a full review once I get more time with it.

-Jim

·
Registered
679 Posts
My advice would be to get the weakest clutch that will hold. The stronger the clutch, the more you tax the tranny. All the people I know who have/had upgraded clutches blew trannies. Not saying that you will, but I'd stay with the stocker until it slips, and even then perhaps try an STi unit.

my $.02

·
1,911 Posts
Actually the stock one will hold up to the VF34 easily. For a mild upgrade the Exedy is inexpensive and very good. The ATS carbon is the lightest and toughest clutch out there being able to handle huge amounts of heat without glazing or slipping. The chatter is not as bad as Jim says since the carbon absorbs a lot of the shock. It's livable on a daily basis.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
God said:
Actually the stock one will hold up to the VF34 easily. For a mild upgrade the Exedy is inexpensive and very good. The ATS carbon is the lightest and toughest clutch out there being able to handle huge amounts of heat without glazing or slipping. The chatter is not as bad as Jim says since the carbon absorbs a lot of the shock. It's livable on a daily basis.
the stocker is an exedy unit, and you can pick them up on the aftermarket (same as OE) for very little money. i believe phast is running his second clutch, and he got the exedy model for under $150, which is phenomenal IMO

dR

·
Registered
559 Posts
dark_rex said:
the stocker is an exedy unit, and you can pick them up on the aftermarket (same as OE) for very little money. i believe phast is running his second clutch, and he got the exedy model for under $150, which is phenomenal IMO

dR
Is this true??
tuca

1 - 8 of 8 Posts