Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well yea but stage 2 is diff for everyone... my setup is Turbo back, intake, 3 port ebcs, & TMIC
I checked out your build... sounds like you're making good power.

I'm really curious how much it costs and if you're able to pass inspection? I'm looking for similar power results. .. Also your impression of the butt dyno?

· Registered
918 Posts
I checked out your build... sounds like you're making good power.

I'm really curious how much it costs and if you're able to pass inspection? I'm looking for similar power results. .. Also your impression of the butt dyno?
Well to get a barebone "stage 2" setup here is the breakdown:

Cobb AP: $650 (tune included unless you're going protune, if so add another $500)
Intake: Not needed otherwise around $350
J-pipe: (need catted if not getting a custom tune) around $600

So total: $1600 if you're not getting a Pro-tune and just running the OTS map from Cobb.

As for inspection depends on where you're located. Here in California you'll never pass on any "stage 2 setup". You can't alter any of the emissions equipment. Even if you manage to pass the actual test, you'll fail visual inspection.

As far as power, it's far quicker than stock, especially above 4500rpm where the stock tune falls off.

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks alot. Is there any other parts I would need to run the 300 whp you're running?

So what's your plan for inspection? Are you going to remove everything and flash back to stock? What about your protune?

· Registered
918 Posts
Thanks alot. Is there any other parts I would need to run the 300 whp you're running?

So what's your plan for inspection? Are you going to remove everything and flash back to stock? What about your protune?
I highly suggest an aftermarket intercooler like I have. With the mods I have I made those figures on 91 oct so you should be good with a ProTune.
Well in SoCal there is no inspection for the first 6 years of ownership after that I'll probably go back to stock hardware and flash to stock to pass.

· Registered
61 Posts
Stage 2 is not really a thing outside of the COBB maps. I consider myself stage 2+ since I have done more mods then just the basics but again, saying stage 2+ doesn't really mean anything. I spent $4300 on performance mods in one go to get me where I am. I have a build thread you can take a look at for specifics. Couldn't tell you how much HP i am making because I don't really care. I know the car drives 100 times better then it did before and when I drive down the road you definitely know I am not stock. At the end of the day that's all that matters to me.

Also, don't get caught up on a HP/TQ number. Every car is different. You could do everything identical to Steemax and make less HP or you could make more. The only thing that really matters is what you started at and where you end up.

As far as inspection, I have 7 years before I need to worry about that. But I have a HFC on my j-pipe and I am still using mufflers. Shouldn't have any issues passing inspection. With that said, by that time I will probably have a built motor and who knows what else. Just enjoy the car for what it is. You can always put the stock exhaust back on for inspections if you really need to.

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live in ny and I'm pretty sure I need an inspection every year regardless of age. If so I guess I'm SOL? I'm fairly handy but I would probably pay a shop to do any performance mods. So sound like my only option would be to pay a shop to go back to stock then reinstall everything once a year??

· Registered
918 Posts
I live in ny and I'm pretty sure I need an inspection every year regardless of age. If so I guess I'm SOL? I'm fairly handy but I would probably pay a shop to do any performance mods. So sound like my only option would be to pay a shop to go back to stock then reinstall everything once a year??
Damn that sucks... I wonder how everyone else in NY does it then. You may want to wait for someone from there to comment but I just checked NewYork DMV site and it says it's a yearly safety inspection and says emissions inspection is separate.

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stage 2 is not really a thing outside of the COBB maps. I consider myself stage 2+ since I have done more mods then just the basics but again, saying stage 2+ doesn't really mean anything. I spent $4300 on performance mods in one go to get me where I am. I have a build thread you can take a look at for specifics. Couldn't tell you how much HP i am making because I don't really care. I know the car drives 100 times better then it did before and when I drive down the road you definitely know I am not stock. At the end of the day that's all that matters to me.

Also, don't get caught up on a HP/TQ number. Every car is different. You could do everything identical to Steemax and make less HP or you could make more. The only thing that really matters is what you started at and where you end up.

As far as inspection, I have 7 years before I need to worry about that. But I have a HFC on my j-pipe and I am still using mufflers. Shouldn't have any issues passing inspection. With that said, by that time I will probably have a built motor and who knows what else. Just enjoy the car for what it is. You can always put the stock exhaust back on for inspections if you really need to.
Thanks for the feedback man. I realize stage two can mean alot of things. I'm more interested in mods that will lead to significant power gains. ..again for me the numbers mean nothing it's all about the butt dyno.

· Registered
69 Posts
Where in NY? I'm near Albany and only have obd2/visual inspection up here. My 2013 Wrx with full nameless catted turboback and Cobb ots tune passed no problem. I don't know how well it would do on an emissions test though, but luckily up here we don't have to worry.

· Registered
64 Posts
Where in NY? I'm near Albany and only have obd2/visual inspection up here. My 2013 Wrx with full nameless catted turboback and Cobb ots tune passed no problem. I don't know how well it would do on an emissions test though, but luckily up here we don't have to worry.
Just stick with "catted" downpipe/j-pipe. Then you will pass emissions im NY. I could be wrong but i hear "most" inspections are just visual walk arounds anyway especially with a nice car like you seem to have. Catless sounds nastier and you get some more gains but it comes with some potential headaches. A solid Catted Grimmspeed or Non Resonated Cobb sound great too, and you can just Flash Cobbs Stage 2 on the Accessport.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.