ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 02 wrx with a pretty modest but nice mod list. My plan is to make 400whp with this 02 wrx and still be able to be reliable and have a fun car, i live in north dakota so i will also be driving in the winter occasionally. My mods are Full turboback exhaust, STI Tmic, ID1000s, DW pump, E85 with Cobb. I have a spt intake and grimmspeed Air oil seperator. My question is that i would like to begin to tear into my motor and was seeing what i should do that will be the most power and also being some what cheap. im looking at 400whp and dont know if i should get cams or should i just get new pistons and valves or what??

·
Registered
285 Posts
hello there tyrel me and you are neighbors im in Montana. what kind of budget do you have?
with that horsepower goal you will definitely want to look into building the motor if you want it to last.
what is your idea of ''cheap''?

·
Registered
150 Posts
once you figure out your money situation, you will need a turbo upgrade to get anywhere near 400whp

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And just ordered a set of Tein coilovers soo my budget went back down haha but yeah someday id like to put atleast 3500-4000 grand into my motor and make it reliable but still a ripper.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Its going to be a lot of work to get there.

Or time + $$. There are plenty of shops that will sell and install a built shortblock, but expect the car to be un driveable for 3 months+ and $7k would be a reasonable price to get all the work done. I've had to spend upwards of $14,000 on my engine in the last three years just to keep it reliable, and I'm at the limits of several components now. The next step up in power is easily another $10k.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts