ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 02 WRX Wagon. I was driving down the highway the other day going about 90ish and had to break hard to catch an exit that sneaked up on me.. my front end shook some and i smelled the breaks for a little bit. I think the previous owner bought cheap break parts.. I'd like to buy a break upgrade. I dont track so i don't need super performance but i would like better than OEM. I noticed a lot of guys using brembo. Where can i buy a break kit and how much am i looking to spend? thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you dont track often (or at all), then "brake kits" are not necessary...
Get yourself the following:
- Good Quality Brake Pad (I have OEM, but will upgrade to better eventually) [Price Varies]
- Very Good Quality Brake Fluid (I used Super Blue) [~$15-$20 per litre]
- Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines (gives a firmer brake feel, I have StopTech SS Lines) [~$100-$200]
- Brake Master Cylinder Brace (gives a firmer brake feel, I dont have one yet, but plan to get one soon from TiC) [~$100]

As far as rotors, OEM should be fine, if needed and possible, just resurface your current ones [around $10-$15 each, depending on the shop] (unless their the cheapo brand of course...)

Here is a nice "Brake Feel" Staged package from TiC: TiC, Brake Feel

Others may chime in as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great info! thanks. i loaded a picture of the current rotors which are cross drilled and slotted... they seem like ebay rotos.

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
If you just bought the car, have you bled the brakes yet? Checked the pads?

Sounds like you just need some new rotors... yours are trashed, which is causing the vibration under hard braking.

No need to spend a fortune... just buy new rotors and pads, and bleed your brakes, you'll be just fine for DD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought an 02 WRX Wagon. I was driving down the highway the other day going about 90ish and had to break hard to catch an exit that sneaked up on me.. my front end shook some and i smelled the breaks for a little bit. I think the previous owner bought cheap break parts.. I'd like to buy a break upgrade. I dont track so i don't need super performance but i would like better than OEM. I noticed a lot of guys using brembo. Where can i buy a break kit and how much am i looking to spend? thanks
Check your PM

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Looking at those rotors it's apparent they're not made with the holes and slots which means they're cheap and not something I'd ever run on my cars. Cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors must be made with those things as part of the process not drilled afterwards.

Where are you that you're coming up to exit ramps at 90 mph?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking at those rotors it's apparent they're not made with the holes and slots which means they're cheap and not something I'd ever run on my cars. Cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors must be made with those things as part of the process not drilled afterwards.

Where are you that you're coming up to exit ramps at 90 mph?
Correct. Cross-drilled rotors are especially susceptible to cracking and will eventually develop small hairline fractures around the drilled holes due to uneven rates of expansion under high stress, high temperature conditions. This is almost guaranteed to occur unless the rotors themselves are cast with ventilation holes and/or slots. Any kind of post-cast drilling will degredate the quality of the rotor.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Correct. Cross-drilled rotors are especially susceptible to cracking and will eventually develop small hairline fractures around the drilled holes due to uneven rates of expansion under high stress, high temperature conditions. This is almost guaranteed to occur unless the rotors themselves are cast with ventilation holes and/or slots. Any kind of post-cast drilling will degredate the quality of the rotor.
Exactly never put those types on your car. They look sexy on ebay or the vendor sites but are crap and your stock rotors are better than them any day of the week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts