ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am overwhelmed everytime I look at modding my subbie. I just put 1000$ in light mods and easthetic, next will be short throw shifter.

But down this list is Stage 2... which I am getting close to, but it confuses me a bit.

As I said befor, I want the car to be reliable, I wont beat the **** out of it, but I still like the idea of having power under the belt, even thought I wont be releasing the beast at every cornor...

Anywho, so far, I was pretty minded on getting COBB DP, Nameless Axle back (for the sound mostly) and then a Stage 2 tune. "My" pro tuner told me this is pretty reliable and would give good number for the price.

But, what if I decided to also add in an AEM intake and an EBCS along the Axleback and downpipe before getting a tune? Would this be anyless long term reliable? Is it worth the extra $/power?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am planning stage two as well down the line, but to be honest, I can pass pretty much everyone on the road now, and the car is so much fun to drive that it is almost a sin!

·
Registered
78 Posts
As long as your getting a protune with these mods, you aren't sacrificing a lot of reliability. All though any mod can make you lose some reliability, I would say that with some mild stage 2 mods like you're stating, your car will run just as long as being stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As long as your getting a protune with these mods, you aren't sacrificing a lot of reliability. All though any mod can make you lose some reliability, I would say that with some mild stage 2 mods like you're stating, your car will run just as long as being stock.
My pro tuner charge 650$... I guess its worth it, but any possible way I could reduce this cost my open source tuning it, with the help (maybe paid help) of someone, online maybe? I mean it feels good to think this pro tuner would make it very safe. But I'd also like it if I was able to recude this cost and still be safe.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I currently have a very similar setup.... AEM intake, Cobb DP, and Nameless CBE. I am running a Cobb AP over the shelf tune. You may be able to find a used AP for a good price and go that route to save money.... it will not be quite as good as a protune, but it will be safe.

You will likely be able to get help here with open source, but you will need a laptop and a cable (about $130).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.

On a side note, COBB down pipe is like 550$ off ebay.

Is there any other reliable catted downpipe that sells for cheaper than that, but still worth it?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Most catted downpipes will cost about $500-600. I have heard good things about Invidia, which is about $510.... but most will vouch you can't get much better than the Cobb, though the Nameless does sound promising.

You can get ceaper than 500, like the CNT made catted downpipe, but I have not heard any good or bad reviews about it.. Cygnus Performance | Late Model Import Parts STi, WRX, Evo - FREE SHIPPING CNT Performance Catted Downpipe 08-11 STi & 08-11 WRX

in any case, if you are planning on keeping your stock midpipe, make sure the downpipe you choose will mate to a stock midpipe. The Cobb will, check all others!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I picked up my Invidia catted down pipe for $450 shipped from Boston Motorsports. I also had a Q300 shipped at the same time. You could pick up the used AP, flash to stage 1 and see how you like that. Then when you add the down pipe flash to stage 2. After that you can add the AEM and use the Stage 2 + AEM map. At that level I wouldn't really worry about spending the money on a pro tune. Even some "honest" tuners will tell you your not getting much at that level.

If that set up does not satisfy you then it's time to look into a bigger TMIC or FMIC, turbo, fuel pump, injectors, EBCS, etc... THEN you will get your money's worth from a pro tune..

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
But, what if I decided to also add in an AEM intake and an EBCS along the Axleback and downpipe before getting a tune? Would this be anyless long term reliable? Is it worth the extra $/power?
You cannot install a aftermarket BCS without an ECU retune. The intake and dp would somewhat be ok on a 02-03 WRX but anything else I would highly suggest an ECU retune as it absolutely could cause a "reliability" issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts