ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had some cooling system issues lately and im thinking that it might be the thermostat...where is it and what else should i do when i replace it? Also what is a good method for flushing the cooling system on this engine? Does the overflow tank on the right hand side of the radiator flow back into the cooling system or does the coolant just sit in it?

·
Registered
900 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
becareful as the car will heat fast. get rid of the air bubbles if you can. I changed my hoses to samco and did a critical thermistat as well as there cap. They offered a kit last year. Some like the critical thermistat and others sware about them.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
seriously, spend the time to burp your coolant system properly...if you don't know what this means, you must find out and know it prior to attempting to working on your radiator.

A tiny air bubble in my system resulted in redline of the temp gauge in less than 10 miles of driving. Totally freaked me out and not too good for the engine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How do you burp the cooling system? My 98 Cavalier has a little cap that you remove, real easy. But I can’t find any vent valves on the Subaru WRX. It’s a 05.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
you take the coolant hoses and massage them (ie squeeze), with the rad cap off, you can see the coolant level go down w/ every "burp"...I would do this fo about 30 minutes to 45 minutes, until the coolant level stops dropping...it helps to have a friend stand there and make fun of you...

after driving for a few days, you should check the level again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts